Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old December 30, 2010   #1
luteman
Tomatovillian™

Default Confused??

Hello everbody! New here!

I recently purchased some Heinz 1439 seeds from a seed company which listed it as open pollinated. Other seed companies list it as hybrid, and some say it is unknown. I'm confused! I am hoping to save seed from year to year. Does anybody with experience with this varity clarify it for me? Can you save seed year to year with plants being true? I am growing it indoors right now hydroponically as a pre-trial before spring.

thanks in advance
luteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can only help a little I looked on the TGS site and it is not listed as a hybrid.
When TGS doesn't list something as hybrid it is open pollinated.

This was told to me by someone in good standing here a long time ago and I will pass that same information to you.

worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just lost a looong post b'c I hit a wrong key but will be back later to say much more and where you can find info about ALL the Heinz and Campbell OP varieties and seed sources. There are no released hybrids from either company that I'm aware of.

Which companies are listing them as hybrids? Just curious.
Old December 30, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I just lost a looong post b'c I hit a wrong key but will be back later to say much more and where you can find info about ALL the Heinz and Campbell OP varieties and seed sources. There are no released hybrids from either company that I'm aware of.

Which companies are listing them as hybrids? Just curious.
And I'm back with a shorter post.

If youj go to Tania's T-base site you can see which Heinz varieties and Campbell varieties have been donated to the USDA and from there they were gotten out when folks could still do that.

Soo here's Tania's page for Heinz 1439 which you mentioned and on that same page you can see the other Heinz varieties as well.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Heinz_1439

Click on the links for the others and you can read about them.

Many of them are also listed in the SSE YEarbooks and there's another long thread here in this same Legacy Forum about Heinz varieties that you can go to and read as well.

When at that page go to the top left and click on the Home page and see how many ways one can search the over 3000 varieties at the site. I prefer to use the alphbetical way and use that link. It's a great resource and I think everyone should have it in thneir faves.

Hope that helps/

I was going to link to that other Heinz thread here in this Forum but realized I'd lose what I'd already written, didn't want to do that so suggested that you might like to take a look.

You mentioned something about other sites saying the Heinz varieties available to the public are hybrids. Just out of curiousity where was that or were you confused at TGS not knowing that any variety that doesn't indicate it's a hybrid is OP, as was pointed out above.
Old December 30, 2010   #5
luteman
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the response.
Carolyn - I was seaching online through varies seed companies and some listed the Heinz 1439 as OP and some did not mention it at all. I came to a site as a taste test description which got me to start thinking if it was OP.
www.gardenisillegal.com

Golden Harvest description said hybrid until they clarify.
Garden Gnome describes as indeterminate.

TGS is where I purchased. I called them and the lady said she didn't know, but said you could save the seeds from hybrid only! I corrected her that she was mistaken!

Thanks again for the info, I hope this varity will do well in my area.
As I said, I am testing two varity of tomates right now the 1439 and Early wonder. Both doing very well so far.
Ed
luteman is offline   Reply With Quote