Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 29, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Fall Potatoes

I am curious to find info from Tomativillians who grow potatoes in Fall. I have never seen anyone where I live growing potatoes in Autumn. I did find a plant-out date for them though. In a different thread, a Tomatoville member posted a link to a very helpful site that shows plant-out dates for your zip code. http://allthingsplants.com/apps/calendar/?q=76050 Just put in your zip code instead of mine - 76050. My plant-out date for Fall potatoes is August 5 - September 4.

Yes, I remember the Tomatoville member's nickname who posted the link.

Anyway, I dug up potatoes less than a week ago. I grew two varieties, White Kennebec and Red LaSoda. The Red LaSoda grew through the flooding rains and hail storms just fine with a little help from hilling them after tornados and hail. They produced somewhat undersized potatoes, but they are a thin skinned red boiling potato that goes well in soups and stir-fries - so smaller size is a benefit.

The White Kennebec grow tiny potatoes. In less than a week after digging them up, they are putting on eyes - A LOT of eyes. Below is a picture of a few of them compared to golf balls.

I know I am not going to find seed potatoes here locally in August. As I wrote above, I've never seen anyone growing potatoes here in Autumn. Well, here I have a lot of small potatoes growing eyes - just wanting to be planted. To me, it seems logical to give them the chance to grow this Fall.

What do you think?

I'm also thinking of planting a 40' row of Red LaSoda as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0025.JPG (63.2 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've been wondering the same thing.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #3
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

They might need a dormancy period before they will sprout and grow. I dont know how long or if it can be induced by cold storage.
Thats all I got.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #4
4season
Tomatovillian™

Last year we dug potatoes in early July and replanted in the same rows. Most of the fall crop did well. Wife just ordered seed potatoes yesterday, all red pontiac I think. If the eyes are growing they can't be dormant.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

You should try it Robert, sounds like they want to grow. I just read in my U. Of Ark. AG Ex. book that its ok to plant up to Aug. 1 for fall production and White Kennebec is recommended for my area too. I have never seen people grow fall potatoes where I live or fall tomatoes for that matter, but I would try experimenting.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #6
4season
Tomatovillian™

We planted Yukon gold May 5 dug them up last week. The plants looked good but production was less than hoped, maybe not enough water. I cut the tops about 2 inches above the mulchbefore we dug them. Some of the seed potatoes were still firm so after a couple days I replanted them on July second. Here it is six days later and some are sprouting new leaves. These have a headstart on their roots so I think the second crop may be better.
Old July 8, 2015   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
Last year we dug potatoes in early July and replanted in the same rows. Most of the fall crop did well. Wife just ordered seed potatoes yesterday, all red pontiac I think. If the eyes are growing they can't be dormant.
Please, where did she order from?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #8
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

You typically need a 30 to 60 day dormancy if you are replanting recently harvested tubers.
You may be able to shorten that to 20-30 days by refrigerating the tubers. Once they break dormancy, it is typically 3 weeks before they will emerge, then you would need to calculate out your number of days until a frost. In an area with frosts late in the year, you could do this.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nathan, with my fall plant out date being between Aug 5 and Sept 4, The white Kennebec are growing eyes. The red Lasoda are not, so I'm thinking I need to put some Red LaSoda in the fridge for the rest of July. Does this sound about right?
Old July 9, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can usually get a good crop of fall potatoes at the store.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

These green potatoes are the result of White Kennebec trying to grow through daily multi-inch rains in May. I'm thinking it won't hurt anything to put them in-ground in August. Otherwise, they are compost food at best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (67.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0060.JPG (55.9 KB, 91 views)
Old July 9, 2015   #12
4season
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes ordered from Gurney, wife says red something, most likely red pontiac.
Old July 9, 2015   #13
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

You're going to love those reds. They are waxy and will hold up nice in a hash.
Try them in uncle Bill's potato and onions.
I tend to go a bit heavier on the dill and pepper.
http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bil...-onions-158832
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #14
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Does this sound about right?
I would think that sounds fine. No sense waiting on the Kennebecs unless you want to do so. If they are sprouting, they could be planted anytime.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nathan, I was thinking the same thing. I am going to cover the ground above the potatoes with extra oak leaves to help cool the soil. In Texas, this time of year, unprotected soil can reach temperatures that burn your feet if you were to walk barefooted. It's not comfortable wearing shoes. Dried oak leaves are readily available here, and do wonders for keeping the soil cooler. Plus they add organic decomposition along the way.

I have a lot of tomatoes in solo cups crying out to be planted. As soon as I get them in the garden - I will plant those White Kennebecs. It should be Sunday when I get to plant them.
I did put the Red LaSoda in the fridge today to start their dormancy. My wife likes the smaller red potatoes, so I chose the larger ones to put in the fridge. I'm learning.

I would like to ask, How is it like gardening in Rhode Island?