Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 8, 2012   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default peppers loving the heat

This week here in minnesota it has been hot, real hot. Keeping everything watered sucks but one good thing... my peppers love this weather! They seem to be way ahead this year. Here is a picture of one of my crosses I have been working on, it should turn a nice chocolate color and be really hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imm pow chocolate.jpg (159.5 KB, 120 views)
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2012   #2
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

What a beautiful and scary looking pepper! lol! Looks like it has habanero in it somewhere. That should give some heat!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #3
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

When did you start your peppers? Mine are flowering, but not a fruit in sight yet. The hots I'm growing are Serranos (family saved seed from 19 years ago).
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #4
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I haven't counted them but guessing I'd say 60-70 fruit are set on my ghost pepper, still blooming. Waiting now for red to creep in. Lotsa green, no red yet.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #5
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Yep, great weather for the peppers up here, hot peppers have set but sweet ones are just flowering.
Old July 9, 2012   #6
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

My peppers are fruiting like crazy. I've never seen anything like this year. Even the super hots are setting fruit relatively early.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #7
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I bet all of you in my area have been getting rain though? I am in a little strip by the iowa border that hasn't got any rain. the grass is brown and it is really dusty. As long as I can water my peppers they are ok. I have about 120 plants so thats not always fun. Last year I crossed a carribean red with a jalapeno and have 5 plants each alittle differant that are fruiting alot and I can't wait to see what they taste like!
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2012   #8
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

It has been pretty hot & dry in the Twin Cities too.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #9
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

A very good link (posted on another forum) addresses fertilizing and mulching quite well.

http://fiery-foods.com/chile-pepper-...pper-pod-yield
Old July 10, 2012   #10
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking picture and pepper!!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #11
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
... hot peppers have set but sweet ones are just flowering.
Is this normal? I was getting ready to post, I have four sweet pepper plants, about 2.5 feet high now, but only one flower. Didn't know if they just take longer, or if something is wrong? My two hot pepper plants are flowering nicely.
GoGayleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #12
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
My peppers are fruiting like crazy. I've never seen anything like this year. Even the super hots are setting fruit relatively early.
Unless some disaster strikes, this will by far be my best pepper year and I have had some really good ones. The best ones are all in pots but I do have some doing well in the ground also. Japs in the ground are the least exciting this year.
I cannot even guestimate my Thai pepper count right now.....it would be off the charts.
I have a habanero in a pot on my front porch that I stopped counting at 30 peppers this morning.
Peppers all over the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
I bet all of you in my area have been getting rain though? I am in a little strip by the iowa border that hasn't got any rain. the grass is brown and it is really dusty.
I'm not in your area but it's rained only once in the past month and a half and that was an overnight rain. We are on watering restrictions. Every other day, three hours in morning and three at night.
Been painfully dry.
Here's my front lawn:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (826.8 KB, 18 views)
Old July 20, 2012   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We are having a very good pepper year also. We always have the heat but this year we are getting a decent amount of rain compared to the last two years. During the summer dry spell the peppers barely produce many years but this year they have continued to set fruit. A couple of my bells are almost 6 feet tall already and we still have four more months for them to grow. I think I will have to start topping them because I have no way to support them when they get that tall. Has anyone had experience with topping peppers?
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #14
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
We are having a very good pepper year also. We always have the heat but this year we are getting a decent amount of rain compared to the last two years. During the summer dry spell the peppers barely produce many years but this year they have continued to set fruit. A couple of my bells are almost 6 feet tall already and we still have four more months for them to grow. I think I will have to start topping them because I have no way to support them when they get that tall. Has anyone had experience with topping peppers?
6 foot bells, that's amazing! There's a thread here on the subject of topping peppers.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23590

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2012   #15
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Lots of peppers here to. I have had a extremely good year in peppers.