Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 25, 2016   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default First indeterminate tomatoes in grow bags

Yesterday & today I harvested the first Jet Star indeterminate tomatoes, I can see why there recommended by so many!! So sweet and so uniform with great texture! The other tomato variety I planted in grow bags is Big Boy the fruits are still growing and will be a bigger tomato than Jet Star the Big Boy will be a great slicer tomato. And my 2 kinds of bell pepper plants North Star & California wonder are doing very well also. The North Star developed for northern climates are about 3 weeks ahead of the Cal wonder with large fruits with 5 or 6 on each plant, of the 3 plants that could be picked now but I'm going to wait till they turn from green to red and get even sweeter. So far its been a great year weather wise for my grow bag garden!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 017.JPG (265.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 018.JPG (270.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 019.JPG (271.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 020.JPG (270.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 021.JPG (256.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 010.JPG (257.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 012.JPG (251.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 013.JPG (269.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Week 8 growth 015.JPG (255.5 KB, 110 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #2
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

OT, but do you feel that mulch has any ~value~ with fabric pots. I guess it depends on your growing medium as well, but the sides evaporate, etc almost as much as the exposed top. Not as much, but enough...
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #3
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
Yesterday & today I harvested the first Jet Star indeterminate tomatoes, I can see why there recommended by so many!! So sweet and so uniform with great texture! The other tomato variety I planted in grow bags is Big Boy the fruits are still growing and will be a bigger tomato than Jet Star the Big Boy will be a great slicer tomato. And my 2 kinds of bell pepper plants North Star & California wonder are doing very well also. The North Star developed for northern climates are about 3 weeks ahead of the Cal wonder with large fruits with 5 or 6 on each plant, of the 3 plants that could be picked now but I'm going to wait till they turn from green to red and get even sweeter. So far its been a great year weather wise for my grow bag garden!
Forgive me for asking, but what are "grow bags"? I've only seen them for sale in one store in my area. I googled "grow bags" and I see that they are plastic bags for growing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using them? Do they last more than one season?
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #4
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

mobiledynamics, I mulch because it helps retain moisture, and because its what I did when I planted tomatoes in the ground

EPawlick, The grow bags I use are polyester shopping bags sold at Walmart for .50 cents, they hold 7 gallons of potting mix. The bags last 2 yrs. I've never used the plastic bags so I can't offer any opinion on them. I really like the Walmart bags there low cost and the 7 gallon capacityis more than adequate for what I grow.
Old July 25, 2016   #5
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
mobiledynamics, I mulch because it helps retain moisture, and because its what I did when I planted tomatoes in the ground

EPawlick, The grow bags I use are polyester shopping bags sold at Walmart for .50 cents, they hold 7 gallons of potting mix. The bags last 2 yrs. I've never used the plastic bags so I can't offer any opinion on them. I really like the Walmart bags there low cost and the 7 gallon capacityis more than adequate for what I grow.
Wow .50 cents sounds better than the 14.99 Canadian Panacea Burlap Grow Bags that I found. I think I'll keep looking. Thank you very much for the info! You have been very helpful.
Old July 26, 2016   #6
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

The bags are usually near the customer service counter or by the checkouts, there blue and of course they have the Walmart label on the bag. here's a pic. to show you how I use the bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20inchsaucers 001.JPG (279.7 KB, 81 views)
Old July 26, 2016   #7
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Got it now!
I picked up a couple of those last time I was in a Mexico Walmart.
Next planting, I'm going to try one or two and compare them to my clay pots. Thanks!
Old July 26, 2016   #8
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

thought I would post a pic of my shopping bag trio

the left bag is 2 black beauty eggplant - I just tried two for kicks to see what might happen; the middle is a pink brandywine tomato plant I grew from Burpee seed; the right plant is a Bonnie Ichiban eggplant I purchased from "the WalMart"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shopping bag trio.jpg (404.8 KB, 70 views)
Old July 26, 2016   #9
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Amazing! Your plants look like they are loving the 'bags'. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I definitely need to try growing in bags.