Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 19, 2006   #1
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Default Rocoto Sauce?

I have had a couple of Rocotos that have made themselves at home for years. Red and Yellow.
Making some soup the other day I threw 3 rocotos in a gallon of stock.
Mistake!
The gallon of stock has now been watered down to three gallons so that it is usable.

I know that rocotos thrive here on the coastal belt of New Zealand and I have the room for a small plantation however what to do with them?
Then I saw the promotion for 2 hot Rocoto Sauce.
I have the connections and access to a commercial kitchen and am really only looking at making some for entertainment and local promotion.
This sauce prides itself on not containing vinegar.
It contains rocoto peppers, salt acorbic acid (vitamin c), xanthan gum.

Do any of you fine folk have any ideas or recipes on replicating this sauce?
Or for that matter any rocoto sauce.
Glenn
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006   #2
jpdchef
Tomatovillian™

Default help?

lil help please.I overwintered my rocotos last year,and have since put them back outside.I now have some peppers forming. Bout how long from first sight of peppers till edible peppers?
jpdchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2006   #3
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Take a while. Mine take 3 months. Winter here and I have peppers forming and peppers maturing. Rocoto hasn't done that before.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2006   #4
jpdchef
Tomatovillian™

thanks glenn50. I'm glad I like watching them,seems like I'll be doing so awhile.Taste great though--
jpdchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2006   #5
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

jpdchef,

I've grown red, yellow and orange rocotos for abt 6 years and can say that they are hard to predict. 2 1/2-3 1/2 months is abt right. When pods reach full size and start to turn color I've seen them turn to ripe color in 2 days and on the same plant other pods might take an entire month. Very strange behavior to me.

Glen 50,

I tried a couple of bottles 2 Hot Rocoto Sauce when was first available here in the states. I remember it being a tad salty and about a medium heat. Very tasty though. Home processing pepper sauces without adding vinegar or something acidic is supposedly a risky business. The same with using a boiling water bath instead of pressure processing. Just saying this usually prompts arguments on foodie forums with people having done thus and so for years and boasting haven't hurt anyone yet.

Mostly I freeze the rocoto pods to be used in cooking later or to be used in making powder/flakes. I always have a couple large jars of refrigerator pickled slices. Equal parts 5% acid vinegar of choice and granulated sugar. Heat the vinegar just enough to dissolve the sugar and refrigerate. Add pickling spices if desired. Then fill jar with sliced rocotos and let sit for a few weeks in the fridge. This should last forever and gets better with age. I do the same with sliced cukes, onions, garlic etc. These 'pickled' slices make outrageously good dried powder/flakes. Because of the sugar you might have to add a flow agent to the powder.

Good luck with your rocotos! Arguably one of the best peppers on the planet.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #6
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Default Rocoto Powder / Flakes

J.T.,

You're making my mouth water talking about those flakes. I still have not yet tasted Rocoto powder. I sure want to. I am hoping for a yield this season. Still not one pod even though I started plants in January! I don't think they like the Michigan climate much. I'll keep on trying.

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #7
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't think they like the Michigan climate much.
Hi Chris,

They like Michigan a whole heck of a lot better than here in Missouri. My first ever Red Rocoto ripe pod was I think plucked in late Dec from an early February seed start. First Orange I think late Jan. That's a long time to wait. Almost every C. pubescens I've ever grown had blossoms by 90 days from seed start. Getting to set is the problem. And is just too hot here in July, August for most. The 2nd year plants are a whole nother story. Lots of early, mid and late year pods.

The PI 387838 (from Bolivia) you have in your photo gallery is the earliest producer of ripe pods (here) than any other. Started 2/15, buds 5/9 & ripe pods on 7/27. Do you have two plants in your container?

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote