Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 10, 2013   #1
simicb
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom Drop

I was wondering if any of you accomplished 5 gallon bucket growers could give a newbie some advice? I built some 5 gallon swc for my attempt at tomato's this year. Used the advice on this board for construction, grow media and fertilizer. All of my plants look healthy but the first two planted (around 4/8/2013) are droping all new blossooms. Both plants (celebrity and cherokee purple) have a good cluster of tomatos that set with the inital blooms and they are growing nicely. But all of the blossoms above these inital clusters flower, wither and fall off. No new fruit set.

I live in southern california, and we have had days above 90 already this year, but the past several weeks have not been higher than 90. I fertilized with lilly miller 5-10-10 at planting. All of the plants show sign of minor leaf curl, even the ones that got started a month after the inital two plants back in april, especialy the Black Krim.

I know several others that post here grow in So. Cal too and it seems they dont share my trouble.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simi CB
simicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #2
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link to an article about Blossom Drop.

http://gardening.about.com/od/proble...lossomDrop.htm
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

What temperature is it at night? I've read that it should be around 20 degrees lower than daytime.

Also... sonicate!!!

Get an electric toothbrush, electric razor, or enthusiastic toddler to shake your plants. Most people seem to prefer the toothbrush.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim is notorious for "physiological leaf roll". It does not seem
to affect production.