Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 15, 2016   #16
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to trying to make powder from them!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #17
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

pondgardener, thanks for the invite and the link to the Pueblo Chile Festival video. I especially got a kick out of the guy munching on one end of a burrito with the stem of a big roasted chile sticking out the other end.

Our oldest daughter lives in Southern California, and now I'm thinking we could plan a driving trip in the fall to visit her and her family - timing it just right to hit the harvest festival in Pueblo going one way and the one in Hatch, NM going the other. Both places are right on the way between MO and CA if you're willing to get off the Interstates a little.

At whichever festival we attend on the way back, we could load up the SUV with chiles for processing and freezing here at home. Fun.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #18
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Ozark,

I have some deceased relatives that had some Missouri roots. My maternal grandmother was born there and my aunt, whose name is associated with the Anna Margaret's Heart tomato, was also born there and lived quite a bit of her 97 years in the state.

I have been to Missouri a number of times to visit her as well as taking in the Branson experience, and I love the area. Maybe one year, if we drive down, we will bring you some Pueblo chiles, if you don't get a chance to make it here.

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #19
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I heartily recommend Anaheims! We like them roasted with cheese on them, and I love what they do for salsa. I like that they are reliably mild but hot. Since I grow in self-watering containers, my jalapenos end up tasting like green bell pepper. No such problems with Anaheims. I think they're really productive. Just be sure to really secure them. I used a stake instead of a short cage last year and the main stem snapped off in a thunderstorm.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #20
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I'm on board too, growing anaheim for the first time this year. Hope we are successful, have read that they do not grow well here but we will find out!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #21
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Jillian, I'm sure they will be late like most of mine here. Have faith!!

Where are you?

Greg
Old February 16, 2016   #22
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
pondgardener, thanks for the invite and the link to the Pueblo Chile Festival video. I especially got a kick out of the guy munching on one end of a burrito with the stem of a big roasted chile sticking out the other end.

Our oldest daughter lives in Southern California, and now I'm thinking we could plan a driving trip in the fall to visit her and her family - timing it just right to hit the harvest festival in Pueblo going one way and the one in Hatch, NM going the other. Both places are right on the way between MO and CA if you're willing to get off the Interstates a little.

At whichever festival we attend on the way back, we could load up the SUV with chiles for processing and freezing here at home. Fun.
If you make it to Hatch NM, there is a place to eat called Sparky's...
The best green chile cheeseburgers in the world! I also recommend their pineapple coleslaw. You won't be sorry!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #23
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Jillian, I'm sure they will be late like most of mine here. Have faith!!

Where are you?

Greg
gss, I have my fingers crossed. I am growing quite a few peppers for the first time, I usually only grow jalapeno habanero and bells.

I am about midway between Charlotte and Asheville. Where are you?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #24
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Outside of Charlotte.

For me, I usually get a few bells early, then they slow down in the heat and spring back in the fall. Most of my hot ones, jalapenos, hungarian, are slow during the summer but really fill out late in the season.

Greg
Old April 20, 2016   #25
Rue Barbie
Tomatovillian™

I grow a kind of anahiem - Numex Joe E. Parkers. I've tried others, but in my part of coastal Cali, they seem to grow the best and produce lots of thick-fleshed pods. I originally got my seed from Johnny's maybe 15 years ago, and have been saving seed from the best of my peppers since then. (when the patch is relatively isolated).

I just love the things. I roast them on the stove top, skin, deseed, and freeze them. The culls I'll chop and dehydrate and make the best fresh chili powder, both red and green.

Right now my favorite way of preparing them is in the morning eggs. Chop up a bit, still frozen, and add to ham, onion, and chopped greens. Yummy and healthy.
Rue Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote