Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old July 21, 2006   #1
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Default Slow to red

Hi All,
Is anyone else in the CHOPTAG region having a slow time getting ripe toms? I've got tons of green ones and the only ones that have ripened so far were Sun Gold and Kimberly, and only a few of those.

Best Regards,
Brian
Old July 21, 2006   #2
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Hi Brian:
Here's what I've picked so far with plantout dates noted:

4/19 Azoychka, Moskvich, Extreme Bush, Anna Russian, Gregori's Altai, Cosmonaut Volkov, Kimberly, Silvery Fir Tree. These had a temporary nite cover available and the Kimberly was half grown by Earl when I got it.

5/08 Cherokee Purple, Sun Sugar and Black Cherry.

5/22 Poll Robson Angolan ( Paul Robeson )

These warm nites have accelerated ripening but also speeded up the Early Blight even with several sprayings of Daconil. So we'll see--so far things are doing OK.

Hang in there ,yours are probably coming on very soon.
Dave
Old July 21, 2006   #3
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

The only ones that have ripened for me has been SFT and San Marzano, but all of those had BER and were discarded. Had a couple of nice sized EF's still green when something got to them. Oh and of course, I've been picking a few currant and grape tom's, but not the bunches that everyone has 'warned' me of getting tired of picking. I've got two huge looking Campbell's 1327's that look like they will be perfect if they will only get a blush to them at least. I'm finally getting some fruit set on the Brandywine too. In this heat... didn't have any before the heat set in. (Though this plant does get more shade than it should ).
I want a BLT sooo baaaaadddd!
Cathy
Old July 22, 2006   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

All my plantings are slow this year not just the tomatoes. The Eggplant, Peppers, Cucumbers and squash are also behind.

I’ve picked a few Sungold and there are a couple of Black Cherry that are a day or two away but that’s about it.

Like everyone else I have plenty of green ones.

Cathy – I can relate to that BLT statement. Almost bought some tomatoes from a roadside stand near where I work. But I know from previous years he gets his fruit from a hot house down in Georgia.
Old July 22, 2006   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating [early types] Kimberly, Polish Dwarf, New Big Dwarf, Moscwich, Silvery Fir Tree, Preleska, Lime Green Salad. [Cherry types] Black Cherry, Galina's, Peruvian Bush, Besser, and Mexico Midget. [Main Season] Mama Leone, Novakov's Giant 'very good', and I'm about to eat a Noir de Crimee BLT for lunch. I didn't plant my main season until 5-17 and after, so I reckon they're coming along pretty well. Patience!!! :-) In three months you'll be eat-up with tomatoitis and wishing for frost. At least, I will. LOL.
Old July 24, 2006   #6
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating Kimberlys, Lime Green Salad, and Silvery Fir Tree from my early plantings since mid-May. Recently - within the past two weeks - began harvesting Anna Russian, American Beauty, Isis Candy, Black Cherry, Mexico Midget, Galinas Yellow Cherry, Black Krim, Polish, Cherokee Purple, Redfield Beauty, 4th of July (F2) and Break O Day. There are few others beginning to blush and others that are still green as gourds.

How fun it has been to taste test all the varieties that are new to me!!!

Everyone at the farmer's market in Greenwood, IN, has commented on the late tomatoes this year... oh well... they are certainly worth the wait!

Lisa
Old July 28, 2006   #7
valereee
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting nothing but cherries so far, except for the delicious Kimberlys from Earl's big plant. I am really stymied -- by this time last year I had so many toms I was leaving them on the neighbors' patio table.
Old July 28, 2006   #8
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hi All,
Starting to get some now, I can see the waterfall of tomatoes coming now, lots of 'em starting to blush. Had an EDIT: Just checked my map, it was a Kellogg's Breakfast not Aunt Gertie's Gold tonight --- Fantastic flavor! First big tom of the year too.

Don't remember KB being so good.

Best Regards,
Brian
Old July 31, 2006   #9
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

KB is always one on my fav's Brian...I don't have anything blushing ...except black cherry..Earl's Faux is still the star in terms of fruit set and vigor..Maybe this year I will have a bunch for the fest..C'mon fellas I am dying for a BLT or a nice Caprese salad!!!

Ray
Old August 1, 2006   #10
valereee
Tomatovillian™

AAARGH! I had two nice big Mr. Stripeys developing yesterday and this morning they were both on the ground with pieces nibble out of them!
Old August 1, 2006   #11
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hi All,
I've got lots coming in now. Green Giant is at the tops of my list so far this year. It has produced 4 large tomatoes so far. A few other varieties have made it into a fantastic fresh salsa (Green Giant, Kimberly, KB, my F3 white/yellow, peppers, garlic, cilantro, onions). I can eat that stuff all by itself! I'll try and get some pics tonight if I think about it.
Ray, hope you get some soon, if not you know where I live and I have plenty to share :-)
By the way, 4 gallons of fresh cider pressed on Sunday. Not as good as the later apples, but nice after not having any for months!

Best Regards,
Brian
Old August 1, 2006   #12
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

All,
Here is tonight's harvest:

Best Regards,
Brian
Old August 2, 2006   #13
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Brian, I can't believe you're getting harvests like that in Dayton! My dad's in Dayton and he's got a couple of little Early Girls and not much else!

Val
Old August 8, 2006   #14
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Hi All,
I hope this harvest last until after the meeting. Here is what I pulled in last night:

Best Regards,
Brian
Old August 9, 2006   #15
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default good toamtos

Hi
wow what a harvest you have there. I m jeolous. :wink: i have two red tomtos.
good thing my family doesn't rely on my garden expertise to feed them with my garden they would starve :wink:
Hmmm your not to far from me , muaahahahahaha
Have you done Mariannes Peace before ?
sue