Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 3, 2012   #1
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Default "Different" Brandywine Reds???

I have grown Brandywine Red and think it is an excellent tomato. I have noticed difffent strains in seed catalogs including a potato leaf version. I am partial to PL plants and was wondering is there a diffence in these strains or are they basically the same?

Thanks in advance.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2012   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

There are twelve or fifteen tomatoes with the name "Brandywine" attached. Some are slight variations of each other, some are so different from each other the only similarity is that they are tomatoes. I might suggest going to Tatiana's website for a very good explanation of each of the strains/varieties.
Old January 3, 2012   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm aware of three "Brandywine Red". Maybe there are more.

If you look, for example, at Tomato Growers Supply website those three are there

Regular leaf red brandywine
Potato leaf red brandywine
Red Brandywine (landis strain)

The last one is the real Red Brandywine - although I believe "landis strain" isn't really necessary. The first one is a different tomato, not bad, but not the real thing.
Old January 3, 2012   #4
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

They are the three I was referring to....believe I had the first you mentioned last year and was wondering about the others. The one I planted was very good and lasted the entire season but I am always curious to try other variations.
Old January 3, 2012   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Brandywine Red (Landis) which is regular leaf, and Red Brandywine from Walmart which is a potato leaf version packed by Burpee,
and yes they are very different with regard to fruit size, fruit shape, interior structure, plant structure, heat tolerance, productivity and flavor.
Really they are completely different in most respects other than they are both indeterminate tomato varieties with red fruit.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There is only ONE true Red Brandywine and no strains of it.

It was explained above about the two at TGS that are not true RB and Linda also lists a Red Brandywine Landis and calls it a strain but it isn't, it's just the place where she bought seeds, the Landis Museum in PA.

I grew my first Red Branywine Red back in the early 90's when there wasn't all this confusion. Tom Hauch of Heirloom tomatoes.net ( could be .com, I can't remember)was the first to get RB out of the SSE YEarbook and offer it commercially and still calls it his signature variety.

A few years ago I asked Tom for some seeds of his RB to compare with my RB and the plants and fruits were identical.

Tom was also the one who sent seeds of RB to Steve Miller at the Landis Museum in PA and it was Steve who got the rest of the history on it.

Hope that helps and if it were me and wanted true RB, it would be either the TGS Landis, or Tom's website or Sandhill Preservation, to start with. I used to offer it in my seed offers here and there but no longer have fresh enough seed to offer.
Old January 3, 2012   #7
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Caro;yn. It is such a good tomato!
Old January 3, 2012   #8
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I agree, Brandywine Red is one of my favorites. SSE public catalog also sells it. I've yet to find a medium-sized red tomato that I like better.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #9
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Both PL and RL do good for me . Excellent tomatoes. Much better that the "brandy wines". To bad they got tagged with the same name.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote