Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2017   #2791
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Never grew a pomegranate - Are you planning on growing it?

Mango season looks disappointing this year. Probably drought related and the trees only set what it could support. Wind has been relentless all spring; that isn't helping.

Woke up to 60 degrees today. This season won't quit. A race to see which big fruit sets last.
Yes, it was purchased 2 weeks ago. In the ground now.
My mango is not quite as loaded as last year, but I think it still will be an abundant crop. My tomatoes are mostly still going too, but starting to look like he__! The F4 Karmas are amazing!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2017   #2792
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb_ haha, a race for last. That's actually pretty amusing.
Old May 14, 2017   #2793
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Greetings everyone,

Unfortunately since the birth of our first kid, I no longer have the time to tend to my garden, and that area is becoming a play area

I thought I would offer this up to the community here first since this is where I learned how to be a successful gardener in south floridas crazy climate...

I am selling the following items all together
12 Earth Boxes + Automatic Watering Systems
1/2 bag of Promix
Pavers - That earthboxes sat on
Calcium Nitrate
Extra 5-10-10 fertilizer
Dolomite (Big Bag)
8 custom made trellises - some need a little mending but easy
2 sets of custom made grow lights - a board which i screwed on two sets of t8lights
seed starting trays
+other things that I can find

I'm not sure If I can state a price on this website but PM if you are interested

I live in Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 about 5 minutes off of the interstate

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited by Imthechuck; May 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #2794
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Heres my purple garden...

It started with some small purple and white flowers in on long rectangular planter from a neighbor. Then another neighbor gave us a fox glove, and then it grew from there with gifts of purple petunia, then purple and white crazytunia, and purple and white salvia. And a purple chile loco plant. I added the purple ornaments... .

Kay, I've hot some Buena Mulata started to add to it.

Tomatoes are still doing well.

Hope everyone is having a good summer!

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; May 15, 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #2795
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Purple is my favorite color so I love your purple garden. The Buena Mulata peppers will fit in great.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #2796
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Purple is my favorite color so I love your purple garden. The Buena Mulata peppers will fit in great.
Kay,

Yes so pretty the Buena Mulata. How are you and your gardens doing?

Ginny
Old May 15, 2017   #2797
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Never grew a pomegranate - Are you planning on growing it?

Mango season looks disappointing this year. Probably drought related and the trees only set what it could support. Wind has been relentless all spring; that isn't helping.

Woke up to 60 degrees today. This season won't quit. A race to see which big fruit sets last.
Barb,

How are your Blueberry bushes all doing?

Ginny
Old May 15, 2017   #2798
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
As soon as my tomatoes and beans are done for in a few short weeks, I will be planting a few vegetables that have proven to grow in Florida in the Summer. That being, Okra, Astro Arugula, Swiss Chard?, Sunflowers and Cowpeas. I may try a few other things that a marginal in the heat. Come July I hope to start getting my tomato seedlings ready for the fall. Hope to have another tomato fall season like the last. It was my best fall season ever.
Larry
Hi Larry

I love swiss chard and malabar spinach but will have to look up the astro. Sounds interesting.

Ginny
Old May 20, 2017   #2799
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Mailed the Chocolate Lightning seeds to Kay, Marsha (Crnkovic Yugoslavian too).

Ginny - my two big Sunshine Blueberry plants died; 2016 harvest was way smaller than 2015; too warm winters. My newer supposedly Sunshine Blue plants I bought from Etsy both died this year. My still newer Blueberry plants that I bought from Rareseed summer '16 are doing OK, but we have been no where near 150-200 chill hours (<45 degrees) for years now. Unless things change, save your $ - the winters are too warm.

Garden Update: Beans are going gangbusters. I've picked 5 harvests already; last one for my next door neighbor.

Peppers are going great too. Pics are Yellow Monsters (seeds via rareseed.com); also growing Red Marconi.

Cucumbers are amazing to me - It must be the drought or the constant wind for months, but so far no pickle worms and I have not used tulle at all.

Some tomato plants with big tomatoes are still setting fruit: Big Beef will probably win my last to set fruit challenge but Stump of the World (from August) and Cherokee Purple are hanging tough. The Crnkovic Yugoslavian tomatoes are just a big now as they were in the beginning.

Was making Salsa today so included a dissected picture for Ella so she can see how thick the walls are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beans 4th harvest.jpg (315.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow Monsters.jpg (266.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow Monster.jpg (191.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow Monster walls.jpg (196.3 KB, 64 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #2800
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much, Barb. Much appreciated.
I wish I knew the secret to growing peppers, here no one seems to be able, except Douglas.

Barb, your peppers are beautiful and enviable.
Old May 21, 2017   #2801
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Peppers don't do well for me, I'm not even trying this year. I thought containers would make a difference, but still terrible scald and BER. They need late day shading and are finicky about watering times and amounts. I'm devoting the space to more squash and cukes.

Did the Crnkovic Yougoslavian grow well and did you like the taste Barb? Also, maybe a pic sliced, if you have time. Vegetation wise, medium foliage and somewhat rangy? And, how big were the toms? 10-12oz were mine mostly, some larger. Your work is superb, congrats on a great season.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2802
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, your peppers are huge. It it probably super tasty as well.
Your beans are great producers. I started my few days ago. They germinated nicely. I was so happy, even showed them to my DH. And then invasion started. My neighbors feed squirrels and they destroying my plants: few beens and one tomato plant (Lithium Sunset ) . I am so mad.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2803
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, love the Petunia's, and that tomato plant, very productive. What variety?

Barb, nice bean harvest. I have not planted no beans yet. I keep procrastinating.
I have one Girl Girl's Wild Thing tomato growing, from your seed offer, and it is
doing well. I can't wait to taste one, but it will be awhile.
Oops, sorry, it was Marsha I got the seeds from. (not thinking)

First time planting eggplants in an earthbox. So, far good. I did use 3 cups of
Ecoscraps Organic Fertilizer from Home Depot. I will probably, if it needs it, put
some supplemental fertilizer when it starts heavy production. When I first planted
these eggplants, they were not doing well. I was almost going to transplant the
smaller one into another container. Again, I procrastinated for weeks, thinking I'm
going to do it eventually. I'm glad I never got around to it because they are doing
great now.

Last edited by roper2008; May 23, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2804
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Thats so sad about your Blueberry plants. I had typed a long response but lost it when I reid to pist it. It was about there possibly being some types that dont mind the warmer winters. I wonder because there are farms near my parents that grow blueberries commercially and they did fine this year. One is a friend of my parents and he lets them come over and pick blueberries one day after the harvest is complete. And then the following day he sprays them so the rest of the blueberries fall off.

As always your peppers are fabulous. I have grown so many that we have used some, frozen some and given a lot away. The broad mites affect the plants in the fall but they dont like hot weather so the plants are not affected in spring or summer.

Thanks again for the seeds. I started some of each and will start some more in July!

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; May 23, 2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 23, 2017   #2805
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Ginny, love the Petunia's, and that tomato plant, very productive. What variety?

Barb, nice bean harvest. I have not planted no beans yet. I keep procrastinating.
I have one Girl Girl's Wild Thing tomato growing, from your seed offer, and it is
doing well. I can't wait to taste one, but it will be awhile.
Oops, sorry, it was Marsha I got the seeds from. (not thinking)

First time planting eggplants in an earthbox. So, far good. I did use 3 cups of
Ecoscraps Organic Fertilizer from Home Depot. I will probably, if it needs it, put
some supplemental fertilizer when it starts heavy production. When I first planted
these eggplants, they were not doing well. I was almost going to transplant the
smaller one into another container. Again, I procrastinated for weeks, thinking I'm
going to do it eventually. I'm glad I never got around to it because they are doing
great now.

Roper2008 your eggplants look so healthy!! I tried growing them a couple of years ago and got some fuzzy little white bugs all over them.

Thanks for the comment on the petunias... :-) We have had such fun with the purple garden. Might do a blue one next year... lol.

The tomatoes are big beef. After doing so many striped, purple and hearts the last few growing seasons this spring i did mostly red and pink beefsteaks. Fell in love with Brandywine Sudduth and Brandy Boy. I just dont have enough space to grow every variety I love!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk