Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 15, 2014   #1
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Default hot peppers pod size

I have a few hot pepper plants (moruga) in containers, that were producing good size pods outside during summer/fall. When I took the plants inside (sun room) they are still producing, but pepper pods are 1/4 or smaller of the ones I had outside. I'm talking about fully ripen ones. Not sure how to explain it (google didn't help). Any thoughts?
jamserg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #2
JoParrott

Obviously, less light intensity, lower humidity and fresh air would be the main differences.
Old January 15, 2014   #3
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure it's that simple, because I grow tomatoes next to peppers and the size of tomatoes is the same as the ones from outdoor. Unless it only affects peppers.
Old January 15, 2014   #4
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I would think it might have to do with the temperature. Peppers are heat lovers and unless you're really keeping the heat cranked up their growth is really going to slow down. I've noticed this on the two pepper plants, one sweet and one hot, I have in the greenhouse. While they're still producing peppers, smaller than usual, the plants themselves aren't growing much.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #5
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that might be it. My sun room is not heated, so it gets pretty low at night over there.
Old January 16, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Yes I believe that less light could affect peppers more that tomatoes. To me peppers just are more sensitive to things than tomatoes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote