Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 22, 2013   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Homemade seaweed and fish fertilizer???

Tis fishing season soon and I LOVE FISHING! Does anyone have a good recipe for making fertilizer from raw fish and raw seaweed???? Thanks
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2013   #2
chance
Tomatovillian™

When my garden was smaller I would go ,to the beach after a storm and pick up all the seaweed that I could haul away. I rinsed it in a kiddie pool several times changing the water each time until the water stayed clear. I then chopped it up, spread it and tilled it in. It seems that the veggies were bigger and healthier. I've never tried making my own fish emulsion.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2013   #3
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for answering after all this time Did you do this on the off season so it has time to decompose or can you use it next to already established plants?
Old December 17, 2013   #4
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

We're not allowed to haul off the seaweed around here. I don't recall if it's for ecological or financial reasons (or both), but I'm envious of those with a supply!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2013   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28586
I think the post with the exact recipe is #9. It is the one by Gardenhappy

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2013   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I can't seem to find any seaweed.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2013   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

You know, I never thought of gathering sea weed at the beach and bringing it home. lol I probably will do it!!
Put some in the compost maybe??

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2013   #8
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the link Marsha That's a bummer tlinkx! I asked the lifegaurds and they said I could as long as I'm not some commercial company taking it all.
Old December 18, 2013   #9
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I think I read something about Galveston using the seaweed to help prevent erosion or something. Whenever I read about folks walking off with bags of it I wonder if there are ecological ramifications but I've never bothered googling it. I'm mostly just jealous!

Even if it's safe and allowed, there's no way my spouse would let me pack ANY bags of seaweed in the car. I'd get "the look".
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2013   #10
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
Tis fishing season soon and I LOVE FISHING! Does anyone have a good recipe for making fertilizer from raw fish and raw seaweed???? Thanks
As I remember from elementary school the indians used to put fish guts in the hole and plant the seed over that. Any reason that won't work? Time your fishing with the planting or freeze the guts until you plant.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2014   #11
chance
Tomatovillian™

I do it in the off season so it can decompose in the soil. I have made tea with it also.
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2014   #12
Hermitian
BANNED

When you purchase seaweed extract from a store, you'll notice on the label that it is made from Norwegian Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum). This is because other species have minuscule percentage of gibberellic acid, the active ingredient in seaweed extract products. So unless you happen to be fishing in an area where A. nodosum is being farmed, then there is nothing to gain over using local kelp in comparison to local mulch and/or compost from greenery.
Old January 22, 2014   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
When you purchase seaweed extract from a store, you'll notice on the label that it is made from Norwegian Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum). This is because other species have minuscule percentage of gibberellic acid, the active ingredient in seaweed extract products. So unless you happen to be fishing in an area where A. nodosum is being farmed, then there is nothing to gain over using local kelp in comparison to local mulch and/or compost from greenery.
The bladder kelp (Ascophyllum) is very common and widely distributed in the North Atlantic, not only in Norway nor in farms. Yes it is farmed by those who harvest for market, because they have to ensure their cutting practices are sustainable. For the average gardener there's no need to cut living kelp where it is common, as the storms do toss it up for you on the shore. Fantastic fertillizer in any form.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #14
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The bladder kelp (Ascophyllum) is very common and widely distributed in the North Atlantic, not only in Norway nor in farms. Yes it is farmed by those who harvest for market, because they have to ensure their cutting practices are sustainable. For the average gardener there's no need to cut living kelp where it is common, as the storms do toss it up for you on the shore. Fantastic fertillizer in any form.
I know people like to refer to it as fertilizer, but in reality it is a hormone. It is farmed in places other than the North Atlantic - for example a section of the California coast.
Old January 22, 2014   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Ascophyllum nodosum is much more than a source of hormones like gibberellic acid. It is a source of carbohydrates, essential nutrients and trace minerals, vitamins, proteins and amino acids.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote