Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old January 22, 2014   #1
Falcon
Tomatovillian™

Default Loving the new allotment

I have one more batch of tools, trolly, greenhouse anchors fork and shovel etc then I am ready to get started as soon as the weather heats up a bit. I have bought all my seeds and seeding trays and am raring to go. The one thing I love about the allotment I got my first plot from is they are all about green. They have help and advise on ways of keeping the slugs and snails out and directions for making eco friendly pest spray that is all natural and will kill off the insects that will ravage the veg growing without the use of nasty chemicles. Yahoo! I like that. We also have a farmer that brings his tractor into the allotment once a month full of cow manure and sells it to plot holders for a couple pounds sterling. Plus we have a seed seller that brings in a catalogue full of every type of veg, flower seeds and tree's. We take a catalogue, leave an order at the allotment office, he picks them up once a month and drops our orders back at the office when they come in. No treking around by bus to buy seeds. Again Yahoo! I am hoping weekend next is a decent DRY day do I can set up the green house and get my cane poles up and all will be ready for my first ever planting.
I am so excited.
I am looking at different types of tomatoes and where to plant them. I have seen some that grow out like vines rather then a bush and I have some crafty idea's of a planter box for one of the tiny tomatoes hanging on the shed door.
I have a half plot which is big but with all the different types of veg I want to grow it is getting smaller everytime I think about it. So I have been looking at youtube for planting idea's like making a soda bottle tower to grow lettuces in and grow bags for carrots.
If anyone has any crafty idea's for ways of growing tomatoes in a different way other then grow bags, plant pots or regular against a cane I would love to hear it.

OHHH and I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Falcon
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Exciting times! You are about 2 to 3 months ahead of me, we are still in our quiet, weed-free season. Best wishes for a good season. What is the approximate size of your plot? Does each plot have it's own shed or greenhouse or is it up to the individual gardener?
Old January 24, 2014   #3
Falcon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Salix
My plot is about 40' X 15' this new plot I was offered has a shed from the last tenant. But we are all expected to buy our own if the plots do not have one from past tenants. This new plot I was offered this week has been cultivated where the first one I was offered was not. Loads of work I now do not have to do other then cleaning up the new plot and sort through all the wood and stuff left by the other tenant. Will be an all day job. Bon fire for the stuff I can't use. I am tall even though I stoop from chronic back pain I will have to stoop lower to get into the shed that is there. It's a short thing and I have thought of tearing the old one down and replacing it with the new but I can't do that on my own nor can my daughter. So I guess I work with what I have. Selling the new one now.
As for the weather it is still freezing here and raining almost daily but now is the time to get the soil ready, clean the allotment and turn the soil. I have a green house to put up when I receive the anchors I ordered and then it is sit back and wait for spring to arrive. I still have 2 months of winter left but we have no snow to deal with (fingers crossed) I have all my seeds now and have learned some new tips from Rob the manager. Very nice man. His wife is wonderful so I am sure I will learn loads from them. I have some idea's I am going to try concerning the tomatoes using chicken wire and plastic wrap lol will see if it works.
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014   #4
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Good luck and I wish for you a great harvest!
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote