Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old June 2, 2007   #1
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Tomato Pie Picture

And recipe to Tomato PIE? Someone had a beautiful pic.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2007   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Rena,

Is that the recipe with herb(s), mayo, and cheese?

I'll try to find the recipe I have, over the weekend.

I once tried tomato pie using only Aunt Gertie's Gold for tomatoes. WAY too strong for me. Hearts, and other tomatoes that aren't overly juicy, work best for me.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2007   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! YES, I do think it was at Garden Web LOL. My memory is running together.
Old June 2, 2007   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

The cooking forums on GW are great, but we've got the best [serious] tomato website around, and as time passes by we'll take on the other forums as well.
Old June 4, 2007   #5
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

I have a great recipe. It is VERY easy.

TOMATO PIE
2 to 3 tomatoes
sprinkling of fresh or dried basil(to taste)
bunch of chopped green onion (also to taste)
9 inch deep dish pie shell (prebake)
1 c cheddar, grated
1 c mozzarella, grated
1 c mayo
s/p

Preheat oven to 350. Layer tomatoes slices, basil and onion in baked pie shell. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix together mayo and cheeses. Spread on top bake until lightly browned.
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #6
lightt
Tomatovillian™

Here's some old pics of tomato pies I've made.
Terry Light

lightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #7
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

WOW, that looks SO good!!! How did you make the crust? I would love to have your recipe. Theresa
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007   #8
lightt
Tomatovillian™

LakeShore,

The top picture is from a recipe in the July 2003 Cooks Illustrated included below.

While it makes an attractive presentation, I much prefer the taste of the pie pictured underneath in the quiche pan. I posted that recipe some time back in Tomato Recipes section under Main Dishes
Tomato and Mozzarella Tart
Tired of tomato tarts with soggy crusts and long preparation times? We experiment with "waterproofing" store-bought puff pastry to solve both problems.

Tomato and Mozzarella Tart

Thawing the frozen puff pastry in the refrigerator overnight will help prevent cracking while unfolding it. Be sure to use a low-moisture supermarket mozzarella sold in block form, not fresh water-packed mozzarella. If you prefer to do some advanced preparation, the tart shell can be prebaked through step 1, cooled to room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, and kept at room temperature for up to two days before being topped and baked with the mozzarella and tomatoes.

Serves 6 to 8 (or 3 or 4 REAL men! (TRL))
unbleached all-purpose flour for work surface
box frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm, 1.1 pound), thawed in box in refrigerator overnight
large egg , beaten
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
pound plum tomatoes (about 3 to 4 medium), cored and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (I don't grow any plum tomatoes!!)
table salt
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper
8 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Dust work surface with flour and unfold both pieces puff pastry onto work surface. Following illustrations below, form 1 large sheet with border, using beaten egg as directed. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly over shell; using fork, uniformly and thoroughly poke holes in shell. Bake 13 to 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees; continue to bake until golden brown and crisp, 13 to 15 minutes longer. Transfer to wire rack; increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.

IMO Start with this step!!!
2. While shell bakes, place tomato slices in single layer on double layer paper towels and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes. Place second double layer paper towels on top of tomatoes and press firmly to dry tomatoes. (Very important when using juicy tomatoes like I used! I use multiple paper towels changes top and bottom to wick away as much moisture as possible.)
Combine garlic, olive oil, and pinch each salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside.

3. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over warm (or cool, if made ahead) baked shell. Shingle tomato slices widthwise on top of cheese (about 4 slices per row); brush tomatoes with garlic oil. Bake until shell is deep golden brown and cheese is melted, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes, sprinkle with basil, slide onto cutting board or serving platter, cut into pieces, and serve.

STEP BY STEP: Forming the Tart Shell

1. Brush egg along one edge of one sheet of puff pastry. Overlap with second sheet of dough by 1 inch and press to seal pieces together.

2. With rolling pin, smooth out seam. Dough should measure about 18 by 9 inches. Use pizza wheel or knife to trim edges straight.

3. With pizza wheel or knife, cut 1-inch strip from long side of dough. Cut another 1-inch strip from same side.
I followed directions, got out a straight edge and used a pizza wheel to cut strips from the crust the first time I made this but decided it was a PITA and since then I just fold the crust up an inch or so around the outside edges brush with egg, press and seal.

4. Cut 1-inch strip from short side of dough. Cut another 1-inch strip from same side. Transfer pieces of dough to parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with egg.

5. Gently press long strips of dough onto each long edge of dough and brush with egg. Gently press short strips of dough onto each short edge and brush with egg.
lightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007   #9
Rena
Tomatovillian™

YUMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY