Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 19, 2012   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Easy to make chili - good for diabetic people

Here is a recipe that is super easy to make, and it is good if you are diabetic because the beans are a carbohydrate that is digested slowly and are a way to reduce the glycemic index of your diet.

*Caution, if beans make you gassy, plan accordingly if you decide to make this for your family*

1 LB lean ground turkey or lean ground beef (you could also use a soy meat substitute, but check the sodium level in the substitute because many of them have higher levels of sodium than animal proteins, and the spices in this recipe do have sodium)

1 package (1.25 oz) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix

1 package (1 oz) dried ranch hidden valley salad dressing mix (dried in the package)

1 can (15 oz) black beans

(optional) 1 c frozen corn I omit this because I don't want the extra carbohydrates from it

1 can (15.5 oz) Northern beans, aka cannelloni

1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans

16 oz chicken broth OR water OR 1 can lite beer

1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes with chilies, I use Ro-Tel brand

1 can (14 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes

Directions: Brown the turkey (or other meat) in a large stock pot. Drain excess fat. Add taco and ranch seasoning mix to coat the meat. Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to meat in the stock pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve hot. I like to garnish it with cheese and sour cream.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #2
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default Love this recipe

jennifer..

My recipe is almost identical to yours. I use venison in mine, add a homemade chili powder/pepper mixture for heat and double the pinto beans. No corn for me either. The ranch dressing seems to give the chili, as the winos say, a different mouthfeel.

We make it in bigger batches(3-4 gal) and let it simmer for about 4 hrs. Quart jars of chili go back to Louisville with the kids and to the other daughter. We do venison/vegetable soup the same way.

Never tried turkey,maybe someday. We don't do beef anymore except for an occasional burger.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #3
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Good recipe Jennifer....thanks.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #4
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

that recipe looks scrumptuous jennifer i am defenitely going to prepare it and i have diabetes thanks for sharing it
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #5
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Thank you for the compliment on the recipe. I am diabetic too. I wonder if there is any correlation between loving tomatoes and being diabetic? hmmmm...
Old May 31, 2012   #6
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Thank you for the compliment on the recipe. I am diabetic too. I wonder if there is any correlation between loving tomatoes and being diabetic? hmmmm...
Carolyn and I are both diabetics, too... you might be onto something.

I'm going to make your chili this afternoon. No corn in it for me, either. That raises hell with my blood glucose levels.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Carolyn and I are both diabetics, too... you might be onto something.

I'm going to make your chili this afternoon. No corn in it for me, either. That raises hell with my blood glucose levels.
My diabetes has a genetic background in that my mother, her sister and their mother all had diabetes, I do but my brother doesn't.

And here's the way it is with me and Chile. I LOVE it but I've found it very difficult to cook anything that has lots of ingredients and that b'c of trying to transport ingredients from the fridge, from cans, and on and on, b/c of my being chained to this walker.

So any of you making this chile have my permission, ahem, to freeze some up and send it to me ASAP with those frozen blue baggies and I'll pay the shipping costs.

But be sure to send it UPS if you can b'c Fedex in this rural area is ridiculous and if it arrives on the day that the USPS sub is on, well that's a problem as well. Phil, my UPS guy is my friend and carries packages inside, takes his knife and opens them for me, bless Phil. Recently I received two boxes of perennials since I lost quite a few over the winter b'c of no snow cover. One came UPS, bless Phil on that one, the other one came USPS and I had to ask Ed, the man who delivers my noon meals on wheels to deal with it, which he did, and now he's my friend as well.

I have to find some way of keeping those perennials going until Freda gets here and can take over. And next to come are the tomato plants that Craig L is shipping up to me although I need an update on that.

Note, I jest on the sending of Chile, yes I do, just a chile dream.
Old May 31, 2012   #8
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Gotta try this recipe!

Yes, Diabetics carry the tomato gene. My mother born in 1923 was diagnosed Type I in her early teens. She swore by insulin made from pigs until her death at the age of 81, even though her doctors never gave up trying to switch her over to synthetics.

Anyway, there was never a year gone by that mom and dad didn't have fresh or frozen veggies on the table, especially tons of tomatoes when in season.

It must be in the genes as I love growing tomatoes and making my own chili and spaghetti sauces.
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #9
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recipie Jennifer..It's cut and pasted...:: pause::... gawd I miss corn and potatoes lol
Ivy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #10
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

My grandson hates all food to the point that I think he has a eating disorder but he is only 5. He will not feed himself. I did find a recipe for chili that I think is healthy and he will eat it. It won a chili contest I watched on TV news. To me the secret is the long time you cook the veggies and turkey. They kind of melt together. I think that is why my grandson will eat it. He does not like meat or veggies. He does like beans. It is my favorite turkey chili. You do not taste the pumpkin but it does adds to the texture and add fiber.

KTLA News
Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

3 tbs vegetable oil
1 C sweet onion, chopped (equ: 1 lg sweet onion)
1/2 fresh green & yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1 lg clove Garlic, minced (more if you like, I usually use 2)
2 lbs ground Turkey
1 can (1405 oz) petite diced tomatoes (can use ones with green chilies added)
2 cans (14.5 oz) small white beans
2 cups pumpkin puree (plain) or 1- 14.5 oz can
1 1/2 tbs chili powder
1/2 tbs cumin ground
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Cayenne red pepper (more if you like spicier)
1/2 c fresh cilantro chopped (more if you like)
1 bag fancy shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1 container sour cream (optional)

Directions: heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat, I cook all in one pot, so I use Dutch oven. saute the onion, green & yellow pepper, green chilies and garlic until tender, about 10 mins or so stirring occasionally. Make room in the center of the pot, add turkey, and brown about 10 -15 mins. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pumpkin. Add seasoning, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt and cayenne. Reduce heat and simmer at least 20-30 mins stirring occasionally to aviod sticking. Stir in cilantro, simmer another 5-10 mins. When ready to serve add cheese and sour cream.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Cinnamint - Cool sounding recipe! Pumpkin. Whoda thunk it? And Jen I will have to give yours a try too. Ya know guys, a little corn if awfully good in chile, balances the heat.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I use about four types of chile powders in my chile, including chipolte. Plus fresh jalapeños, anaheims and whatever other peppers are around. I prefer fresh tomatoes to canned if I have them. Cumin is required. A little oregano, lots of garlic and onions. All from scratch.
Goal is not heat but intense and complex flavor. Two types of beans if I have them.
It gets better after a day or two, or even after freezing. Someday, I'd love to make a giant batch and can or freeze it.
I also make a Hatch green chile with pork and masa. Not as healthy but wonderful plain or with huevos rancheros.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #13
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention if the Pumpkin Turkey Chili seems to thick for your taste, just add broth, tomato juice or water to thin it. As the recipe is written, it seems thick to me.

I am getting hungry and I just ate.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #14
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I'm glad you all are enjying the recipe. Pumpkin chili actually sounds pretty nutritious.
Old June 1, 2012   #15
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Jen:
Was a little chilly here today so I made your chili recipe...it was VERY good. I actually doubled it to freeze some.
I never would have thought pumpkin would be good in chili, but several months ago, I tried this recipe. My family are meat eaters, so I wasn't sure how the soy would go over. But, they loved the recipe, soy included.
So here's another pumpkin chili recipe:

Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
Makes 10 servings

1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 package (16 ounce) frozen soy crumbles
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (14 ½ ounces) diced tomatoes (undrained)
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
In a large skillet, sauté onion and yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-quart slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until heated through. Serve hot.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote