Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 28, 2017   #1
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Default Black spots on Stem/Rooting from Stem

A couple days ago I noticed these black spots on the lower stem, now they've progressed up to the leaves and nearly the top of the plant. We've been getting hammered from rain with the hurricane hitting the coast. Today I walked out and noticed quite a few of my plants are rooting from the stem in mid-air. I've never seen this before and wondered if anyone knew what was going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Guessing that it's Septoria or one of the "spot" diseases on the stem. Pull off all the diseased leaves to slow down the progression of the disease.

Those are adventitious roots. They tend to sprout when there is moisture around, and some varieties are particularly susceptible. Not a problem.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Tomato plants are easy to root cuttings of. I see that your plants are growing in pots there is also a split in the stem which is further limiting the plants uptake of nutrients. When tomato plants get root bound or have a damaged stem, they will often try to root from their stems in search for more soil to be growing in. Add to this desire to root, you have an abundance of moisture which encourages this to occur. From the appearance of the split on the stem, I don't think that the lower main stem can support your plant. The plant knows what it needs to do to survive so go ahead and help it along. I would just cut off the two main stems and plant them in another pot which will allow them to continue to grow roots and perhaps give you a fall crop of tomatoes.

As for your black spots, they appear to be some type of fungus/mold. I will let others comment on that.
Old August 28, 2017   #4
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Tomato plants are easy to root cuttings of. I see that your plants are growing in pots there is also a split in the stem which is further limiting the plants uptake of nutrients. When tomato plants get root bound or have a damaged stem, they will often try to root from their stems in search for more soil to be growing in. Add to this desire to root, you have an abundance of moisture which encourages this to occur. From the appearance of the split on the stem, I don't think that the lower main stem can support your plant. The plant knows what it needs to do to survive so go ahead and help it along. I would just cut off the two main stems and plant them in another pot which will allow them to continue to grow roots and perhaps give you a fall crop of tomatoes.

As for your black spots, they appear to be some type of fungus/mold. I will let others comment on that.
I may try that, we've had 50+ MPH winds come through so it just split this past weekend. I've already cut that one stem off (where the split is), and I'll probably just try to cut the rest off and re-root elsewhere. They're in air pots, so they shouldn't get root bound.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I would spray the plants including all sides of the stems from top to bottom with the diluted bleach spray and then the next day do the same with a copper spray and see if that helps.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote