Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 27, 2014   #16
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Frogsleap, have you crossed with your red sub-epidermis tomato with any tomatoes with B, t, or gr.
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014   #17
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
Frogsleap, have you crossed with your red sub-epidermis tomato with any tomatoes with B, t, or gr.
I'm on my laptop this weekend, without access to my photo library, but a few of the relevant photos can be found here http://www.frogsleapfarm.blogspot.co...doras-box.html

I have found both orange and red sub-epidermis with GWR fruit (gf) and also red sub-epidermis with tangerine fruit.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #18
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Here is a sister line to the redskin. Funny thing was I only got one tomato from this plant and I took one cutting from it before frost. My friend brought me some tomatoes to look at and I brought out my lone tomato from this plant to show him. He misunderstood my intention and popped it in his mouth, I made him spit it out in my hand and saved as many of the seeds that I could, so I never really saw what the inside looked like. I just picked this one from the cutting. The skin on this one seems to be more orange then red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twilight3.jpg (124.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg twilight2.jpg (137.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg twilight.jpg (94.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg twilight4.jpg (158.2 KB, 206 views)
Old February 21, 2015   #19
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I finally started getting tomatoes on my cutting of the redskin tomato. Even at such a early age they are turning dark green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redskin dk21.jpg (266.5 KB, 175 views)
Old March 19, 2015   #20
FredB
Tomatovillian™

I have had a similar experience with a cross between S. pimpinellifolium (PI 422397) and Brandywine. Many of the F2 and later had an extremely bright red color, like red enamel. I expect this was due to red skin plus intense red interior. Other fruit were ridiculously bright pink, and I presume this was due to clear skin plus intense red interior. I wish I had taken photos. I'll be sure to do so this summer.

Other properties of F2 and later generations include high sweetness (like Supersweet 100) and a very strong tomato flavor, more like tomato paste than fresh tomato. I have various lines going in which I'm trying to combine and stabilize these traits. So far, I'm having a frustrating time. The color and the intense taste aren't too hard to fix, but I'm having a lot of trouble holding onto the supersweet trait. If I succeed in getting a stable variety, I'm planning to call it Fire Engine based on the color.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #21
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Picked my first tomato from a cutting I took from this plant last fall. I can't figure out why the inside is so much lighter. Maybe it wasn't as ripe but the outside was dark red. Not sure what the average time to ripen is but it sure seemed to take an extra long time to ripen. I also planted seeds this winter and they are fruiting right now so it will be interesting to see if the next generation continues with the red skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdskin cutting.jpg (233.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg rdskn cutting.jpg (199.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg redskin cutting.jpg (158.8 KB, 143 views)
Old April 9, 2015   #22
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

nice!
Old May 17, 2016   #23
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first cross from redskin today. It was with Sara's Galapagos and I was hoping for a super red tomato. I left the first one extra long to make sure it was ripe and it was an intensely dark orange. So if I am right the orange color inside Redskin must be the Beta Carotene gene. The modifier that blocks the epidermis from being orange must be recessive thus not showing in my F1. The orange color in my F1 means it is B( beta carotene) instead of t ( tangerine) because it shows up in the F1. Does this logic sound correct ?
Old May 17, 2016   #24
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

The red-skin trait with an orange interior sounds like it would produce the intense-dark-orange looking fruit. If the fruit has lycopene-red in the skin, then this suggests the [dominant] Beta-Carotene gene from Sara's-Galapagos isn't active in the skin (either never or due to a recessive blocking gene). The distribution of F2 traits would help clarify the situation.

This is an interesting result. There is little research about how different carotenoid pathway genes are active in different parts of the fruit. (The bicolor trait is probably something similar, but I haven't found much research into it.)
Old May 17, 2016   #25
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I have already planted some seeds so I should get some F2 results later in the fall. The question is the modifier a single recessive gene or more than one. Also I wonder if it effects all other colors the same ? What would you expect out of the f2 generation ? If it was a single recessive then 25% would have red skin. 75% would carry the beta gene and 25% should have red flesh. I would like to get a red skinned, red flesh tomato but not sure the odds on that or how many I would have to grow out.
Old May 17, 2016   #26
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I'm really not sure at this point. I was thinking Sara's-Galapagos was an orange variety, but it seems I was thinking of something else.

Is the interior of the F1 similar in color to the images posted above? I ask this because this interior color, with a lesser level of red in the skin should produce something visually dark-orange like you describe for the F1. This would lead to a model of the red-skin being a codominant trait and the paler interior being a dominant trait.

Do you have any photos of the ripe fruit?
--

I'm waiting for some of of the Red-skin seeds you sent me last year to sprout now. I've finally got enough garden space built at the new house to get back into some of the fun experimental tomato genetics stuff.
Old May 18, 2016   #27
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Sara's-Galapagos is a dark red tomato that I was hoping when crossed with the redskin tomato would be a super red tomato. Here is a picture of the f1 . In the previous picture the center is more yellow but it is not fully ripe. With the redskin tomato I noticed the sub epidermis ripens first , turning red giving it the appearance that it is ripe. Then later the epidermis turns from yellow to red and the center ripens. I never did check the skin color of this new f1 but could visibly see it was not red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saras redskin.jpg (152.9 KB, 70 views)
Old May 18, 2016   #28
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Hrmm. Yes, it is definitely not "red". I still wonder if there is lycopene there at a lower level. If there is a codominant effect going on, then I would expect the F2s to be: 50% dark-orange skin, 25% red skin, 25% normal skin.
----

The normal yellow pigment in tomato skin is naringenin chalcone, which is derived from the flavinoid pathway. I've been thinking of researching the genetics of the flavinoid, to see if there are some common regulation steps that might explain redskin [when mutated]. One detail that I've found is that the flavinoid pathway is much less active in the flesh of the fruit compared to the skin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2788616/). (This might help explain the localization of flavinoid-derived anthocyanins in the Aft/atv tomatoes.) The carotenoid pathway is normally active in the flesh and not the skin... I'm kinda rambling here, as I've been thinking about this topic but don't yet have any real conclusions that might be informative.
Old May 21, 2016   #29
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what is going on. I left a tomato on even longer and after days of being orange it started looking pretty red. I just picked it and took it out in the sun so I could get a true color. The sub epidermis is dark red and the skin looks orange to me. The flesh looks more pink then orange to me so I have no idea what is going on. My f2 plants are already coming up and I have no idea what I am looking for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saras redskin2.jpg (143.8 KB, 50 views)
Old May 22, 2016   #30
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
My f2 plants are already coming up and I have no idea what I am looking for now.
Sounds like real research then. ;-)