Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiKihano View Post
Wepl, I just got fresh back from yelling at him for eating the rhubarb on the porch, I chased the little rat in the front door and down the hallway, the leaf still in his mouth. I came around the corner and fell on my butt trying to catch him and he wound up hurting me a little.

Smacked him a couple times lightly so he would respect me, and drug him back outside.
I cant help but laugh.

My mother in law had a fixed female poodle that humped a big cloth stuffed carrot all day long.
It was disgusting.
I didn't want to sit in the living room all the time with her doing it.
I took the soft carrot and beat the tar out of the dog with it.
That was the end of her humping the carrot.
Oddly enough she would still play with it but not hump it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #17
SamiKihano
Tomatovillian™

Now I have very little idea on a plan of action. Mere minutes after punishing him I saw him on the porch eating chives with his owner petting him and laughing about it D=

I told her allium is toxic to canines, it makes them anemic.
SamiKihano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not good you aren't the owner and the mother in law lets him get away with murder.
It takes a certain kind of person to have these types of dogs I hope it grows out of it or learns to mind.
Old March 20, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Little girl controlling Pit Bulls.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mQ1-87jvYeaJtw
Old March 20, 2016   #20
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You tell the owner that if she allows that behavior on your property that she will no be able to have the dog there. That she is being very inconsiderate of you by petting the dog while it is doing something that she knows upsets you.
I agree with the others that you have to be firm with the dog and nip this right now. I once had a dog that would punish me by eating the candles off of my table every time that I left the house. I scolded the dog and he would hang his head. Yes, I have been bad. Yet, he would do it again. I spanked him pretty hard and yelled at him. Oh, I am a bad dog and hang his head. Well spanking and yelling did not solve the problem. One day I just got tired of yelling. Doggies dinner time came, oh boy was he happy that I was going to fill his bowl. Well, in went all of the candle pieces. I set the bowl down. He looked at it and gave me a look that could kill. WHAT! I smiled and walked away. No yelling.
That dog never ate the candles again.
He was a garbage eater too. I tried feeding him the garbage remains for his meals but that did not work. One day he watched me pick up all of the garbage while yelling at him and put in back in the can. Then I went over and picked him up and dropped him right into the garbage and put the lid on.
Never again did he get into the garbage.

He became the BEST dog that I ever did have.
Old March 20, 2016   #21
Dak
Tomatovillian™

What about a motion-activated water scarecrow?
http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Moti.../dp/B000071NUS
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I could never break my sweet baby Boo Boo from stealing bread and grain products.
You could leave a roast out and he wouldn't bother it but a loaf of bread forget it.
You would forget about it and then come back and catch him sometimes.
He would stop drop the bread and go lay down with sad eyes.

I miss Boo Boo My wife died and I had to put him down 3 months or so later.
All I have is my sweet kitty Smokey.

How a mean old cuss like me be so tender hearted I have no idea.
Worth
Old March 20, 2016   #23
Mushimi
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you have a boxer to me. They tend to stay in "puppy" mode much longer than other breeds (2-4 years) and are extremely energetic. Your mother-in-law's dog sounds about par for the course, unless someone takes it in hand to seriously train it. It's not a bad dog, it's being what it what bred to be (energetic and puppy-ish) - I realize it's a pit bull mix, but it seems to have the boxer personality and that's what you have to deal with.

If I were you, I'd take her up on her suggestion for you to train it. Obedience classes would help the dog recognize that you're the boss, create a bonding experience where it looks to you for commands, and give you some better solutions than smacking it to get it to listen. It is a pit mix, and regardless of what pit lovers say, they can be dangerous if mistreated, and dangerous if untrained. (I have a pit bull/German Shepherd mix myself before anyone gets the idea I think pits are vicious beasts)
Mushimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #24
SamiKihano
Tomatovillian™

I've never actually met a mean pit in my life. Even dogs who where trained to attack have just come and greeted me nicely when I walked in unannounced.

He does act more like a boxer in most ways, He'll take his legs and try to push you over so he can lick and nibble you... everyone hates it but I think it's adorable.

I'm certainly not the one around here who could decide if she could or couldn't keep this dog, but I can tell you there's only so much I can do to save HER dog's life if it keeps acting so stupid. I thought pits where supposed to be smart

It's like when he got ran over by the gator, and 10 minutes later he was jumping and running around a car trying to pull up the driveway.

I had her reading this discussion earlier. I think everyone is starting to understand we all need to be a little more consistent with him as far as what is and isn't ok.

Last edited by SamiKihano; March 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM.
SamiKihano is offline   Reply With Quote