Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2016   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default removing early fruit

some of my still not mature plants are making fruit. Just one or two but Im thinking to remove them so the plant can grow more before spending energy toward fruit production. Am I off base here ot does this have any merit?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
some of my still not mature plants are making fruit. Just one or two but Im thinking to remove them so the plant can grow more before spending energy toward fruit production. Am I off base here ot does this have any merit?
I always removed all blossoms and buds and any small fruits before setting out seedlings,and that b'c I want seedlings to stay in the vegetative cycle of forming roots and stems and branches,before switching to the sexual cycle of buds and blossoms and fruitset,since plant energy made then targets the sexual cycle activity.

And maturation of seedlings is set back.

Carolyn
Old March 21, 2016   #3
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I always removed all blossoms and buds and any small fruits before setting out seedlings,and that b'c I want seedlings to stay in the vegetative cycle of forming roots and stems and branches,before switching to the sexual cycle of buds and blossoms and fruitset,since plant energy made then targets the sexual cycle activity.

And maturation of seedlings is set back.

Carolyn
So it is probably good advice to prune them off so the plant can grow more mature.
I will remove them this evening. Thanks
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

are they still little seedlings indoors? If so, you can do that but if they are already planted out, let them be. those are going to be your first tomatoes!
I never did understand the "pick off all your earliest blooms and tomatoes and grow roots instead" gardening program. At least not in my short season. I think plants need less human interference than we give them credit for. If a plant is healthy and has what it needs to flourish, if it wants to bloom and set fruit then I say let it. (before it gets too hot in your area?) we all have our own seasonal challenges.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I personally aim for early harvest. So I would welcome any and all early settings I am talking about the ones that have been already planted out and are one foot or taller. I have never had seedling flower while still inside.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote