Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2018   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You want immediate Calcium satisfaction ? Here how.
1-get some cheap distilled vinegar.
2-get dolomitic lime.
3- pour some vinegar (say a quart) in an open container, twice in volume of the vinegar.
4- pour about a cup of DL into it, little bit at a time, and keep stirring.
Continue adding DL as long as it keeps bubbling. Stop when no more bubble. If you add more DL , DON,T worry. The rxcess will be just Dl
The bubble is CO2.
The solution is water + impurities + Calcium Acetate
Now Calcium Acetate is an ionic solution in which Ca++ ions are readily available for the plans, up take.
Alternatively you can use your egg shells instead of DL
The end product will be the same. So here you are hitting two birds with one stone; enjoy the sunny side up and give the shells to your plants.
WARNING:throwing egg shells (crushed, ground ..) in the garden will take years to release Calcium in the form that is available for plants, uptake. It is like throwing bunch of nails in the garden hoping that your plants (what ever they are) are going to get Iron, right away.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
You want immediate Calcium satisfaction ? Here how.
1-get some cheap distilled vinegar.
2-get dolomitic lime.
3- pour some vinegar (say a quart) in an open container, twice in volume of the vinegar.
4- pour about a cup of DL into it, little bit at a time, and keep stirring.
Continue adding DL as long as it keeps bubbling. Stop when no more bubble. If you add more DL , DON,T worry. The rxcess will be just Dl
The bubble is CO2.
The solution is water + impurities + Calcium Acetate
Now Calcium Acetate is an ionic solution in which Ca++ ions are readily available for the plans, up take.
Alternatively you can use your egg shells instead of DL
The end product will be the same. So here you are hitting two birds with one stone; enjoy the sunny side up and give the shells to your plants.
WARNING:throwing egg shells (crushed, ground ..) in the garden will take years to release Calcium in the form that is available for plants, uptake. It is like throwing bunch of nails in the garden hoping that your plants (what ever they are) are going to get Iron, right away.
I love this post so so much! Wow, I learned heaps!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #18
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I use Epsoma lime and also add a teas. of calcium nitrate weekly. Generally, I add a little more then one cup to each box and rarely have BER or other nutritional issues. Good luck with those EBs, you will love them!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I use Epsoma lime and also add a teas. of calcium nitrate weekly. Generally, I add a little more then one cup to each box and rarely have BER or other nutritional issues. Good luck with those EBs, you will love them!
Linda, Home Depot sells the Sunniland Brand in a 50lb bag gof about $6, its called garden lime but the ingredients say its dolomite lime. Much cheaper than the Espoma.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #20
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I bought a 50 lb bag last year, it’s pulverized dolomic limestone. It’s like a powder. Good price.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #21
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Hi all. I have enjpyed this thread very much. I still am uncertain of some details. Assuming I add the correct dolomite lime at the start how long after that do you start the weekly feedings of calcium carbonate and of epsom salts? I assume not right away as your plants are still tiny and you have just given the soil a good feed of the dolomitic lime. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks;
Pete ��

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote