Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

View Poll Results: Do you start from seeds or plants?
Most of the tomatoes I grow I started from seeds 273 89.22%
Most of the tomatoes I grow are from plants I obtained 19 6.21%
About half and half 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22, 2011   #61
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

popular rumor in this area was that all the bonnie plant tomatoes had late wilt a couple of years ago thereby distributing it throughout the mid-atlantic.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #62
tedln

I don't think it was a rumor. It seemed the dept. of agriculture tracked some early infestations or infections back to the retail outlet where they were sold. They then issued a warning.

I was in Home Depot last year looking at their fall plants. The plants they sell in the fall always seem much larger than the plants they sell in the spring. They had a rack of mixed varieties that looked great They were tall with heavy foliage. About every fourth or fifth plant still had great color but had simply slumped over and died. They looked like they had simply wilted in place with no obvious sign of disease.

Ted
Old February 24, 2011   #63
JudiRose
Tomatovillian™

I'm new here and new to intentionally growing heirloom plants. Last year I grew only heirlooms and fell in love. I haven't started my own plants yet, but probably will next year. I don't quite know how to do it right yet.

We live out in the boonies in southern IL and are fortunate that we have a little nursery not too far away and they sell mostly heirloom everything. She offers over 100 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. I got some seeds for plants I wanted to try that she didn't have, so she is going to start them for me and keep some of the plants herself.

Lots to learn, but having fun doing so!
JudiRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #64
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I got some seeds for plants I wanted to try that she didn't have, so she is going to start them for me and keep some of the plants herself

Clever! I offered to give seed to the one local plant seller and they turned me down flat! They said people only wanted the 1 foot tall tomatoes in a 2" cube and "brands" they recognized like any of the Bonnies or Big Boy, Early girl, etc. Lucky you having someone so near who already grows and sells heirlooms!
Old February 24, 2011   #65
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiRose View Post
I'm new here and new to intentionally growing heirloom plants. Last year I grew only heirlooms and fell in love. I haven't started my own plants yet, but probably will next year. I don't quite know how to do it right yet.

We live out in the boonies in southern IL and are fortunate that we have a little nursery not too far away and they sell mostly heirloom everything. She offers over 100 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. I got some seeds for plants I wanted to try that she didn't have, so she is going to start them for me and keep some of the plants herself.

Lots to learn, but having fun doing so!
Welcome, JudiRose! Glad you've found someone to do grow your plants. Lots of info here on how to save your seed and grow your own next year.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #66
JudiRose
Tomatovillian™

I am lucky to have her so near. She and her husband are both super nice people, too.

Judi
Old March 25, 2011   #67
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

Have bought plants in the past, now that I'm retired I grow my tomatoes and most all my vegggies and flowers from seed, in fact it is keeping me quite busy lately.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #68
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year starting tomato seeds myself. Much smaller scale than most on these sites. I have 12 varieties and am wondering how long it should take before I see sprouts? I planted them a week ago but we are having some cold yucky weather. We only run the heater a few hours in the evening when we get home from work and I am wondering if they are not getting enough heat? I have them by a window but because of the rain they are not getting any heat from the sun. I am using miracle gro starter. I have heard some about heat mats and am wondering if that is suggested for the start? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to buy plants this year if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for your help. Kim
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #69
KevinCT
Tomatovillian™

Kim, for me on average it's usually 9 to 11 days for tomatoes & my peppers take almost 2 weeks.
My setup is far from professional, I have my tomatoes on top of a oil filled radiator by the window and try to keep the temp consistently around 70s to about 68 degrees when the temp drops at night. Rule of thumb is if a baby would be cold in the room so would a tomato, you probably need a little more warmth for the seedlings
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #70
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCT View Post
Kim, for me on average it's usually 9 to 11 days for tomatoes & my peppers take almost 2 weeks.
My setup is far from professional, I have my tomatoes on top of a oil filled radiator by the window and try to keep the temp consistently around 70s to about 68 degrees when the temp drops at night. Rule of thumb is if a baby would be cold in the room so would a tomato, you probably need a little more warmth for the seedlings
Great!! Thanks for the info. I've seen a few posts where things sprouted in a week and I got a little worried that I wouldn't get anything so appreciate the assurance. We are supposed to get some sunshine with increased temps in the high 60s and low 70s so hopefully that will help. Will direct sun affect them? should I keep the blinds shut?
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #71
JudiRose
Tomatovillian™

After posting that my nursery gal was going to start my seeds for me, I decided to get with the program and do it myself.

I got most of the seeds from a couple of folks on this forum (Knapp's Fresh Veggies and The Sample Seed Shop). A couple came from Tomato Growers Supply.

My dh set up florescent lights in the basement, and I now have a lot of sweet little tomato plants. It took a good week and even longer for some to germinate.

I planted varieties the gal at the nursery doesn't grow.

Some are Neves Azorean, Santa Clara Canner, Virginia Sweets, Legend, Brad's Black Hearts, Wes, New Big Dwarf, Limmony, and a hybrid (Mountain Magic) started because it's supposed to be blight resistant, which was a big issue for us last year. I also planted a couple varieties of tomatillos.

I've already bumped some of them; some I just started a few days ago.

I am so excited to try them!

Judi in southern IL
Old March 27, 2011   #72
robbyjoe01
Tomatovillian™

I can't remember the last time I bought a plant. I always start seeds
robbyjoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #73
Kenner21
Tomatovillian™

1st post here, first year I've grown tomatos. I started all of my plants from plants that I trans-planted into 15 gallon containers I bought used at a local nursery. I'll probably do seeds next year but wanted to keep it simple this year. Planted a wide variety Black Krim,Roma,German Johnson,Golden Pineapple,Early Wonder,some type of Early East Texas Black Tomato and a surgery grape type tomato.

I didn't know what I was doing and planted two plants in some of the containers I hope that doesn't bite me too bad.
Kenner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011   #74
Bdobs
Tomatovillian™

Have been starting from seed for the last four years, but got lazy(to the dismay of my friends) and decided to forgo the whole process and just buy seedlings this year
Old May 6, 2011   #75
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Mostly from seed this year but I still buy a few can't-live-without ones from Darrel just in case something happens like the cats eating the tops off (which happened this years to a few) or germination issues.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote