Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 4, 2013   #16
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Kath, that does sound like a nice pepper. A quick Google search for Palanacka Cudo yielded some good opinions of it, but not one source. If you do hear of where I might find some, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I love the earliness and taste of Carmen F1 too and it was my favorite before I found the open-pollinated Palanacko Cudo which is earlier, sweeter and has thicker walls- don't know where you can get seeds for that one though.
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #17
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
My best red early is Melrose. Never fails me in our cool and wet climate. Marconi types are very late in my garden compared to Melrose.
Tania,
Do you think Melrose would do well with humidity and heat if it does well with your cool and wet? I know some plants do just fine in both, but others don't. August can be a real killer here along the Bay...
Old February 4, 2013   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeplanter View Post
Kath, that does sound like a nice pepper. A quick Google search for Palanacka Cudo yielded some good opinions of it, but not one source. If you do hear of where I might find some, please let me know.
I will- also will try to bag more seed this year. Last year I had limited luck and gave away what I don't need for this year. The photo below is from this thread, post # 82: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=229610

Carmen F1 are in upper left; Palanacko Cudo definitely the one in the lower right corner.

Sorry, can't get the picture below to enlarge but it does in the link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0534.jpg (4.7 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by kath; February 4, 2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added photo
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #19
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I will- also will try to bag more seed this year. Last year I had limited luck and gave away what I don't need for this year.
Awesome. If you are able to save extra this year, I'd love to try it next year!
Old February 4, 2013   #20
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Kath, if that is an open offer and you do bag seed, please let me know too, Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #21
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeplanter View Post
Tania,
Do you think Melrose would do well with humidity and heat if it does well with your cool and wet? I know some plants do just fine in both, but others don't. August can be a real killer here along the Bay...
Melrose did great for me here in Northern VA. Last year, I grew Carmen, Melrose, Jimmy Nardello and Franks for sweet red peppers. Melrose was by far the most productive in my garden. It's going to get by far the largest part of my sweet pepper patch this year -- the others from that list aren't coming back this year.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #22
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Kath, if that is an open offer and you do bag seed, please let me know too, Thanks!
I'll post it somewhere- guess the "Available for Trade" section would be the most appropriate. Leaving it up to you to see it, though- there's too much time between now & then for me to remember where this post is/remember who was interested.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #23
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDahlia View Post
Melrose did great for me here in Northern VA. Last year, I grew Carmen, Melrose, Jimmy Nardello and Franks for sweet red peppers. Melrose was by far the most productive in my garden. It's going to get by far the largest part of my sweet pepper patch this year -- the others from that list aren't coming back this year.
Good, then I'll keep that one in mind!
Old February 6, 2013   #24
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Re heat and humidity for Melrose - I grow my peppers in cold frames, and it does get pretty hot and humid there on sunny days. So perhaps they'll do well in hot and humid areas too!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I love the earliness and taste of Carmen F1 too and it was my favorite before I found the open-pollinated Palanacko Cudo which is earlier, sweeter and has thicker walls- don't know where you can get seeds for that one though.
I have grown Palanacko Cudo for the last few years and it is a tasty pepper; but it has not done well in our very hot and humid summers. It seems to do fairly well early and if I can get one to survive til fall then it will make some more then.

Someone sent me a pepper that is very similar called Slonovo. The biggest difference is that it is nearly twice the size. Taste and shape were about the same. It also did well early but not so much during the heat of mid and late summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #26
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'll post it somewhere- guess the "Available for Trade" section would be the most appropriate. Leaving it up to you to see it, though- there's too much time between now & then for me to remember where this post is/remember who was interested.

kath
That is completely understandable...I could not keep track either....happy growing season.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #27
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My first thought here was Melrose, as well. It's very early for me here in Va. Beach. We have very humid summers and it's not phased at all. Tiny plants don't take up much room either. Would be great as a roasted pepper. I have even pickled them.
Old February 8, 2013   #28
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
My first thought here was Melrose, as well. It's very early for me here in Va. Beach. We have very humid summers and it's not phased at all. Tiny plants don't take up much room either. Would be great as a roasted pepper. I have even pickled them.
I can't ask for much more than a recommendation from next door, now can I? I already put in my orders for this year, but I'll look for it for next year for certain!
Old February 8, 2013   #29
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Anaconaguas do well in the heat and also in our cooler seasons. It seemed to be pretty early as it was making peppers before I got it planted in the ground last spring!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #30
swamper
Tomatovillian™

I like North Star f1, a small blocky bell that ripens early.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote