Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2014   #1
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Default A word of advice

Apparently if you buy a bag of jiffy seed starting mix it can go horribly wrong. don't store it in a hot garage for any length of time, I popped open a bag I bought earlier this week and it stunk to high heaven! And with half the stuff I've smelled in my life I was surprised that it made me gag. I would have rather stood in a pile of fresh horse turd(which to me isn't so bad at all).
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

I don't use the stuff, at work (college greenhouse ) we started seeds side by side , one bunch in jiffy ( 100 + seeds) and one bunch in potting mix (100+ seeds ) . The regular potting mix blew the jiffy right off the table in all accounts . we will not be using any jiffy again
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Apparently if you buy a bag of jiffy seed starting mix it can go horribly wrong. don't store it in a hot garage for any length of time, I popped open a bag I bought earlier this week and it stunk to high heaven! And with half the stuff I've smelled in my life I was surprised that it made me gag. I would have rather stood in a pile of fresh horse turd(which to me isn't so bad at all).

My mom used to tell me "Jiffy is Iffy"

I avoid it because too often the bags stink.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014   #4
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Default A surprising conclusion

So yesterday I went and purchased a secondary bag, and surprising enough, it too was stinky!.

So this morning I called jiffy and the very first person I talked to was a human! I explained my story of the stinky mix and the woman on that had answered the phone gladly offered to send me two bags and some other things as an apology holy moly there's some humanism left in this world!

I was so blown away by that response alone, that it took me a minute to regain my voice. I would say that even if I did get stinky bags I will totally go back to purchasing jiffy, because I was very happy with their level of customer satisfaction.

Gaston who is still very much in shock that He Didn't Have to spend thirty minutes on the phone with an automated system only to deal with someone who has a horrible disposition.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014   #5
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Good for you!

Customer service is rare these days! Plus Live humans!

Good to hear.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote