Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2018   #316
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

So what are you guys and gals growing large THIS year? Biscuitridge- I'll bet you have all kinds of varieties up your sleeve

I'm growing AKMark's 5.42 Terhune RL this year, along with DLH, which got almost up to 2 lbs last year. No Big Zacs this year for me.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #317
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
So what are you guys and gals growing large THIS year? Biscuitridge- I'll bet you have all kinds of varieties up your sleeve

I'm growing AKMark's 5.42 Terhune RL this year, along with DLH, which got almost up to 2 lbs last year. No Big Zacs this year for me.
I can't believe I just read all what was it,maybe 22 pages in this thread, but when your post came up Darin,since I had posted several times since it was started in 2015, I got a notice sent to me at home.

I see where I had said that fruit size meant nothing to me,I grow tomatoes only for taste.

Then a bit later someone said they ate all of the tomatoes they grew, but I didn't go back and say I could send the person seeds that once grown and fruits tasted the person would never grow them again.

In all 20 some pages only ONE heart variety was refered to previously,and that was Darin who posted about what he named DLH in post #254.

And Darin just posted again in this post about his DLH.

I don't participate in any contests re the biggest tomatoes grown, but I do understand why some are so fascinated with doing so.

Am I going to have Rob grow me some seedlings that will grow some big ones? Well not deliberately,that's for sure. There won't be that many for Freda/Rob, for Freda to care for me, but I think they will be a mixture of great tasting ones, mostly hearts,which I love, and then some small ones such as Rosa de Zarautz, etc, some multiflora's of different colors,perhaps some beefsteak ones I haven't grown in many years, and for sure some green when ripe ones, which I always love.

I have few newer seeds left here at home, having sent them to Shawn for the seed offer now up, but not for long for this summer. But Shawn has also told me that if there are any seeds I'd like back for this summer,it's done deal.

And to everyone reading here and has posted previously,and who will then get a notice sent to them,here's to this summer's tomato season,of one with weather not too damaging,not too many diseases, etc.,in other words a GREAT tomato season for everyone.

Carolyn
Old March 28, 2018   #318
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Creole, Carmello, Arkansas Traveler, Paul Robeson (in order left

I see I posted under the wrong topic. I don't seem to be able to delete the post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0328181239.jpg (574.5 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by SpookyShoe; March 28, 2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: wrong topic
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #319
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

That's an interesting mulch surface. Can't make out what it is exactly.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #320
Natertom92
Tomatovillian™

Love the very large tomatoes. From heirloom/ open pollinated varieties to hybrid types like big Zac.. every tomato has it's own way of producing giants. My personal favorites are big rainbow, delicious giant Belgium pink and others I've had got seed from every single kind I have beyond no doubt that everyone can grow giants.
Natertom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #321
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

corrupted file

Last edited by pmcgrady; April 2, 2018 at 08:49 PM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #322
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Maxjohnson, I don't know if you were talking to me, but that is hardwood mulch covered in live oak pollen. At the end of February and the beginning of March it rains live oak pollen. Everything is covered in it. Your car, your lawn, everything. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast in a suburb of Houston.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #323
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing some of my 5.42 Terhune seeds this year and a couple of Big Zac. I might plant a couple of Boudyo Big Zac seeds too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #324
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Maxjohnson, I don't know if you were talking to me, but that is hardwood mulch covered in live oak pollen. At the end of February and the beginning of March it rains live oak pollen. Everything is covered in it. Your car, your lawn, everything. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast in a suburb of Houston.
Oh I remember that pollen Spooky- I grew up there on the coast (Texas City), and you're right- it covers everything!

AKMark- glad you are growing some of the same seeds you kindly shared with me- we can compare notes!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #325
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I've got a fellow grower that has tried to join tomatoville but he's not been able to get a approval to join,he's a very good competitive grower who brings a lot to the table,his screen name is bnot** can someone please approve his registration so he can join ,he would be a very positive member to have here .
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #326
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I've got a fellow grower that has tried to join tomatoville but he's not been able to get a approval to join,he's a very good competitive grower who brings a lot to the table,his screen name is bnot** can someone please approve his registration so he can join ,he would be a very positive member to have here .
The only person who now approves new members is Mischka himself. Not the two global mods, not any other mods.

You might try going to the very bottom of the page and where you see CONTACT US, click on that which will go to to M himself, and if he's not over whelmed with other Tville activities,he usually responds.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old April 8, 2018   #327
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I just saw bnot as someone who is listed as being here today. What happens next is that M will read his,or anyon else's first couple of posts to be sure all is OK.

Carolyn
Old April 8, 2018   #328
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I sure hope he's able to join,he'd be a great asset to us here.
Old April 8, 2018   #329
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

He's contacted M twice, but no response, bnot cannot post anything yet,not sure what is going on, it shouldn't be that difficult to join.
Old April 8, 2018   #330
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
He's contacted M twice, but no response, bnot cannot post anything yet,not sure what is going on, it shouldn't be that difficult to join.
He has to make his first post in the Tomatoville Town Hall and introduce himself. That is the first step. After he has made a few posts there, Mischka will approve him to post at large. It's not so hard. We all have done it.