Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

For anyone shopping for a ph or ppm meter, there are some super cheap ones on amazon, and they are super big pieces of junk. My $6 ph meter lasted about an hour.

Hannah is a good brand. I think the premium brand right now is Blue Lab.

PH probes must be kept moist at all times. They sell storage solution for them. As soon as a probe dries out, the accuracy of the meter starts to go. They must also be calibrated, usually on a 2-point scale, with ph of 4 and 7. You have to buy the two calibration solutions.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The Hydro-Gardens FAQ page is a very good. https://hydro-gardens.com/support/faq-page/

And also the ProMix Training Center is an excellent source of info. http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #18
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

4TH CLUSTER OF FLOWERS & OLDER PLANTS
a. 100 gallons of water
b. 8 ounces (1/2 pound) of CHEM-GRO 4-18-38
c. 8 ounces (1/2 pound) of Calcium Nitrate
d. 1.6 ounces (1/10 pound) of Potassium Nitrate
e. 5 ounces (1/3 pound) of Magnesium Sulfate
f. Adjust pH to 6.2
g. Conductivity 1700ppm + source water
( 2.27 mhos + source water)

Found a source for potassium nitrate today in small quantity. In large bags, UPS will not deliver (not that I'll ever use 50 lbs).
I did not have this last year, and want to follow the program as outlined.
Plus AkMark rolls with it and says he likes it. Plus the data shows the potassium bump yields more etc.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #19
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
For anyone shopping for a ph or ppm meter, there are some super cheap ones on amazon, and they are super big pieces of junk. My $6 ph meter lasted about an hour.

Hannah is a good brand. I think the premium brand right now is Blue Lab.

PH probes must be kept moist at all times. They sell storage solution for them. As soon as a probe dries out, the accuracy of the meter starts to go. They must also be calibrated, usually on a 2-point scale, with ph of 4 and 7. You have to buy the two calibration solutions.
Agreed.
If anyone wants a Hanna meter, buy it direct from them. It's about $30 bucks cheaper than from Farmtek. Ask me how I know
Although I did have a big order with Farmtek, so I guess I made the shipping more efficient.
And like Cole says, get the storage and calibrating solutions.
Old March 2, 2016   #20
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
The Hydro-Gardens FAQ page is a very good. https://hydro-gardens.com/support/faq-page/

And also the ProMix Training Center is an excellent source of info. http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/
Right on. Gerardo, you should check out the FAQ link Ricky posted after you read the guide.
I have read the FAQ a bunch of times, but somehow missed the truncheon conversions you pointed out yesterday. Thanks again.
Old March 2, 2016   #21
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hanna 98129 is the one I have, AKmark recommended it, $135 incl shipping on ebay. I've bought several things through this store.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanna-HI9812...MAAOxyLchRw4H2
Old March 2, 2016   #22
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I got a freebie test kit from the hydro store, it's color coded and at the highest fertigation concentration I'm always around the light green 6 to 6.5 range. Plants are doing ok.

Cool, more reading for the AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #23
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Mixed up some new feed today.
Last week for 3 week old plants, I was at 450ppm and pH 6.5 with the HG for tomatoes
Today at a month old, I bumped it up to 650ppm at pH 6.5

Note to anyone raising pH using potassium hydroxide: a little goes a long way!
I'd say a fraction of a gram will raise 1 gallon of solution a full point.

Very excited about this year. Last year I never adjusted my pH, and my source water is 5.5
I had good results, so hoping doing the pH properly and stepping to potassium nitrate on mature plants will goose this system.
Also gonna be under cover to keep rain from overwatering the bags...so we are gonna have a drought this summer now of course.

Last edited by PureHarvest; March 4, 2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 4, 2016   #24
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I even give seedlings 1000-1200 ppm, try it on a few.
I'll try to send a pic tomorrow, mine are setting flowers now.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #25
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad u brought that up.
They say use the seedling rate at 1/2 strength for the first 3 weeks, then increase the Chemgro and Epsom but not Cal nitrate. But they give no specifics on rates or EC. I assume the cal nitrate would eventually go up when u get to the full seedling rate?

Simply put: Just wondering how you handle week 3 to whenever you get to the full seedling rate at a 2-1-1 ratio for the 3 parts of the mix.

I did want a stronger EC than what I posted, but am waiting on more fert that is coming today. I noticed my plants were juuuust slightly less green than last week, so I am gonna push them.
Old March 5, 2016   #26
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Chem-Gro starts high and the graduations are smaller, seedlings 1200 ppm, mature 1500 ppm, Dutch mature 1700 ppm.

FloraNova mixed per directions is more like, seedlings 900 ppm, mature 1200 ppm, and heavy fruiting 1600 ppm.

To say, I just don't think 100 ppm one way or the other is critical.
Old March 5, 2016   #27
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'll mention another variable, and there will always be many, is that AKmark has a lot more daylight in his growing season. I believe he's pointed this out himself, and is why they get washing machine size cabbage plants. It stands to reason plants assimilate more fertilizer, better, up there.
Old March 5, 2016   #28
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Chem-Gro starts high and the graduations are smaller, seedlings 1200 ppm, mature 1500 ppm, Dutch mature 1700 ppm.

FloraNova mixed per directions is more like, seedlings 900 ppm, mature 1200 ppm, and heavy fruiting 1600 ppm.

To say, I just don't think 100 ppm one way or the other is critical.
So if 3 week old seedlings get 400-600 ppm, when do you move to the full seedling rate?
4-7 weeks old?
Old March 5, 2016   #29
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'd say 5th week should be fine to move them up to full. The first batch I did, and it was all wrong. Used the wrong conversion, didn't include source water values. I find I'm at full strength adult on 3week old plants in the 5th week, and they were beautiful.

I just ramped up liked I did on the Chem-Gro and disregarded the FloraNova recommendation of a very low starting ppm. And that's what I'm saying, you get in the ballpark, you find your own zone.
Old March 5, 2016   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'll mention another variable, and there will always be many, is that AKmark has a lot more daylight in his growing season. I believe he's pointed this out himself, and is why they get washing machine size cabbage plants. It stands to reason plants assimilate more fertilizer, better, up there.
Way more energy storage up there. I think of it as Sammy Sosa (also known as a Jacko doppelganger) and Mcguire swings up there vs our Tony Gwynn swings down here.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote