Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2016   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

Removing the affected leaves and burning or destroying them is a good idea. The life cycle of the pest is to drop to the ground after the leaf burrowing stage and then emerge as a mother fly. Plastic or other barrier mulch can help too, but probably not as good as sticky traps outdoors, they can come from everywhere.

The adults are easy to recognize. They look like a small housefly but with prominent yellow spots on the face.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If the leaves are coated (after foliar spraying)with trace amounts of the Spinosad(dried powdery), when the adult pierces the plant(feeding) or even when eggs are injected hopefully the Spinosad will transfer to miner,start growing inside the critter and eventually kill it.
Oh. Very good and quite logical. Thanks Kurt.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #18
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

The way I understand it, Spinosad is a selection of two compounds ( Spynosyn A and D) that while derived from fungal isolates, are not infectious agents. It acts directly on the nervous system of the bugs, also playing with neurotransmitters the way conventional insecticides do, although on a different receptor.

BT Is also a compound isolated from a microbe that acts as an endotoxin inside the bugs and eventually causes them to die from their gut derangement.

Met52 is an infectious agent (spore) and does start to propagate inside them.

As long as they work, it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Gerardo; March 23, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #19
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

Your right Gerardo, When I started using Spinosad I didn't see the need for BT. Spinsoad keeps the tomato plants clean from worm damage. It will last about 2 weeks. Where I live I have heavy worm problems and had trouble getting control of the worms with BT. Now if we could find a way to keep the Stink Bugs from damaging the tomatoes .
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote