Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old April 13, 2015   #151
Stan Marzano
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Out of the 100+ varieties I got from swaps, Mr Stripey and OSU Blue are the only two I'm not going to start.
OSU Blue was tasteless, Mr Stripey was crack prone and didn't keep well.
Stan Marzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #152
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Heirlooms

Here in south FL, I had a great season of tomatoes and peppers. Was all ready hot before Easter so our season ended a month early. Been 90 degrees for 3 weeks now and NO rain yet. I grew Trip L Crop which wasn't to bad. The foliage is a little "wispy" and droopy but still produced a lot of tomatoes. I've had worse tomatoes. I was disappointed in Isis Candy and Isis Brandy...I prefer a high acid tomato like Nieves Azorean Red. Red Barn was also productive but lacked in taste. Also grew Old German for the first time HUGE tomatoes but kind of bland for a yellow tomato. Nyagous was the worst tasting this season for my garden. Pretty tomato but won't grow that one again! I guess it all depends on climate, soil/potting mix, weather and growing conditions. For RED tomato I like Nieves Azorean Red, BLACK: Amazon Chocolate PINK : German Johnson, potato leaf and Helen's German GREEN: Emerald Apple & Hugh's. Haven't found a YELLOW tomato that I like yet.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #153
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I bet you would like Sweet Ozark Orange, sir.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #154
sdzejachok
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't tell apart Slava, Bloody Butcher and Rutgers. All small, round, seedy reds with OK but unremarkable flavor and oodles of fruit per plant. I realize Rutgers has been compromised.
sdzejachok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #155
tedln

I grew Lemon Boy for the first time this past fall. It was great in production, disease and heat resistance, and taste. Some folks say they are tasteless as spring tomatoes. I'm growing five plants this spring to find out. It is the first "yellow" tomato I've liked.

I grow KBX every year for it's production and taste of large orange tomatoes. Along with Orange Minsk, the taste is outstanding. I don't think I could tell the difference between an acidic red tomato and KBX if I was blindfolded. I'm growing six KBX plants this year.

I decided to not mess around with a lot of plants that may produce some good tasting tomatoes this year and only plant tomatoes which have abundantly produced the best tasting tomatoes in the past.

Ted
Old April 23, 2015   #156
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing KBX for the first time so I'm glad to hear what you say about it, Ted. Aunt Gerties Gold is one of the best tasting tomatoes I have ever eaten but it's very late, not very productive and susceptible to disease. Doesn't sound like a great review, I know, but it is delicious! However, it's off my list this year. I'm going with KBX, Sweet Ozark Orange, Little Lucky for orange/yellow oranges.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #157
majabu
Tomatovillian™

One of the oldest tomato I know is Purple Calabash ... it tastes awful.

http://www.tomaten-fundus.de
majabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #158
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

Caspian Pink, I heard a lot of great things about it and was excited to grow it in my garden. It was compared to Brandywine and some said it was even better tasting than Brandywine but that turned out to not be even remotely true. The plants were strong and it had large fruit but the taste was very poor. I grew 10 of the Caspian Pink plants and had Brandywine and several other varieties in the same garden that had great flavor. From my experience with it I think this variety was way over hyped and won't grow Caspian Pink again.

Last edited by silverseed; July 28, 2015 at 09:32 AM.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #159
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Pork Chop and Yellow Pear have been 86'd from my garden--walls too tough.

Black Brandywine will not be invited back either.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #160
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by majabu View Post
One of the oldest tomato I know is Purple Calabash ... it tastes awful.
Superb taste on my palate, my #1 favorite this season. Different preferences are the problem for concluding anything about a bold tasting tomato, or anything with an interesting taste, for that matter...
Cheers
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #161
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverseed View Post
Caspian Pink, I heard a lot of great things about it and was excited to grow it in my garden. It was compared to Brandywine and some said it was even better tasting than Brandywine but that turned out to not be even remotely true. The plants were strong and it had large fruit but the taste was very poor. I grew 10 of the Caspian Pink plants and had Brandywine and several other varieties in the same garden that had great flavor. From my experience with it I think this variety was way over hyped and won't grow Caspian Pink again.
So what was wrong with Caspian pink? I was planning to get it for next year.

So, on my list there is Ludmilla's Red Plum. I've grown disappointing varieties before, but this one is just the definition of tasteless (I've grown it 2 years, in different gardens). Maybe as a paste tomato, which is probably what it is.

Last edited by zipcode; July 29, 2015 at 06:22 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #162
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post
Superb taste on my palate, my #1 favorite this season. Different preferences are the problem for concluding anything about a bold tasting tomato, or anything with an interesting taste, for that matter...
Cheers
I keep on hearing so much about this tomato I will have to try it one day...
If I can learn to like Coyote - a very aquired taste-, I'm sure I can learn to enjoy another purple tomato!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #163
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues - not productive, plants get huge, 3/4 of the fruit spits and the taste is just ok.

I never seen a tomato that splits with no water for a month...these do.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #164
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think I posted in the begining of this thread that I didn't think it would be helpful, for several reasons.

What I consider a spitter, someone else will love.

Taste of fruits of different varieties includes many variables such as where grown, geographically, what was the weather like in a particulr season, if amendments were used, which ones, how much and when, how were the plants grown as inground, staked, trellised, containers etc.

There's even a human genetic component so that two folks tasting slices from the same fruit may have very different tastes from it.

I've grown Purple and Red Calabash, I don't like the taste, too strong for me, but others love it. If you like the taste of Purple Calabash, then try Noire des Cosebeauf, one of the most beautiful fruits I've ever seen, but again, not good tasting to me. In my last couple of annual seed offers here I've been listing Loka, from Ghana, and in the Fall feedback reports almost everyone said strong sour taste, didn't like it.

Summary? I'm one whois NOT going to list heirloom varieties that I didn't like, aside from the few comments I made above and that's b'c, to repeat, my spitter can be and sometimes is, a variety that someone else loves.

Carolyn
Old July 29, 2015   #165
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Too true Carolyn!

What I cannot get over is Blondekopfchen which I tried at a tomato taste testing, and thought it was good enough to save seeds from. It looked as if it was correct (small yellow cherry), but the taste, when grown in my garden, was awful! Never again!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote