Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 10, 2009   #1
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Default where to get manure in Mobile AL?

Hello I live in Mobile Al and I have 2 big raised beds to fill, I went to Lowes today to get pricing on manure, organic compost etc... but I am wondering if there are farms around here that will sell that for a lot cheaper or maybe even give it for free. Where should I look for things like manure etc... so I don't break the bank.
jardinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

ooh! Craigslist.

there is a Wanted section, but you may have some luck browsing through the Farm/Garden listings. You may also try asking at a farm stand or farmers market. the sweet folks down the street from us when we lived in TN raised donkeys and we could take all we could haul.

good luck!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #3
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

thank you, I do know of a farm stand close to me so hopefully I'll get some compost.
Old July 10, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A guy I used to work for is in Mobile. If you can find him, and get him to start talking, you'll have all you'll ever need.

That boy was good at talking "cow patties" and "horse puckey".

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2009   #5
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

thank you Ted,

Since my first post about manure I have decided to do the lasagna method, I really think this will probably the best and cheapest way to fill my beds without any chemicals. I have already placed the cardboard on the bottom of the raised beds then I am planning to put straw, manure, grass clippings , coffee grounds, peat moss and just alternating all of these materials, until I can get the desired height. Hope this will work,
Old July 11, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

On the serious side, check with the big box stores and find out if they discount busted bags of potting mix, composted manure, etc. I've had occasion where I got the department manager to reduce them largely. I bought a half pallet of 2 cubic feet Miracle Grow Pro Mix last year at a dollar a bag.

This year I got the local Kmart to sell me 1 cubic foot broken bags of the same stuff for 50 cents each. They had 23 of them and I took them all. And I think sometimes that the key to getting the offer accepted is to take them all. Now, they don't have to mess with them and sweep up, etc.

Things like that can be helpful in keeping some diversity in your "buildup".

I ask about busted bags all the time. The worst that can happen is for them to not take the offer.

Good luck on your project.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009   #7
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Bunny Power For Gardening

Post your needs at the following Link and you may locate a source for rabbit poo; this does not have to be composted as you can use directly with plants or make Compost Teas with it. My last contact provided a huge amount with me.
Good Luck and happy gardening!

Gary

Bunny Power For Gardens
This is a group to bring together rabbit breeders with gardeners who know the value of rabbit manure as one of the best natural and organic fertilizers. If you are a rabbit breeder with a plentyful source of manure, let these eager gardner's know where you are and maybe you can work out a mutually suitable deal so that you are both happy. Gardeners, if you are looking for a source for Bunny Power for your garden, post here and let rabbit breeders know where you are so that they can contact you and let you know that they have plenty to share with you. Please, PLEASE. practice internet security and be careful to only list your general location. When you contact each other via email, THEN you can be more specific as to your exact locations.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bunnypowerforgardens/
Old July 11, 2009   #8
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

yay! we listed on there last year. We are having NO problem using buckets of it uncomposted, and one cilantro that I planted put out 3 huge towers of flowers, Ill have seeds and coriander all winter and then some. still waiting for the tomatoes to actually ripen, but it has done good things for the soil!

Also, not sure if they are still doing this, but Starbucks coffee usually puts its grounds in one trash can. some stores repackage it in the 5 lb vacuum bags, but just ask if they do "grounds for gardeners", they may give you bunches.

Cool tip Ted. Ill think about taking the pickup next time!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009   #9
dice
Tomatovillian™

Craig's List in Mobile, AL:
http://mobile.craigslist.org/

Free section (it is in the box with For Sale links):
http://mobile.craigslist.org/zip/

Results of a search for "manure", using the search box
at the top of the page in the Free listing:
http://mobile.craigslist.org/search/zip?query=manure

(The results of the search will vary from time to time as
different people build up more manure that they need to
get rid of and post ads there. Listings could include manure
from horses, chickens, rabbits, llama, alpaca, etc.)

I would search around down at the docks, too, since you are
close to the water. Shrimp shells, fish parts, kelp (might need
to give it a bath first to reduce salt), those would all be good
things to add to a lasagna bed (bury fish parts deep to make
them less attractive to critters). There is a lady in California
that collects fish heads from restaurants to put under her
tomato plants.
Old July 13, 2009   #10
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, for all the info. I have already tried craighlist but no luck, I guess nobody had any manure to give. The bunny power for gardens looks very promising, I'll definetely try that.
This Past Saturday I went to Home Depot and decided to get come cow manure and organic compost, their bags were $1.40 for a 40 lbs, so it is not too bad. I am trying to do the lassagna method, so I am alternating cardboard in the bottom, then compost then coffee grounds( I got them for free at Starbucks) and Peat moss, I hope this is a good mix, I also got some mushroom compost as well to add to the mix. I've already started some homemade compost in my Biostack but it will probably take months for it to be ready, but I do have some worm castings ready from my worm bin, so as soon as I get my plants in the ground I'll be mixing some of this as well.
Old July 14, 2009   #11
dice
Tomatovillian™

I don't know where Cantonment is, but I did see this (today):
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/zip/1268727875.html

You probably want to add some lime and/or gypsum (calcium
source).

You do not want to overdo the lime, just sprinkle some around.
Gypsum does not change soil pH, so you can be more liberal
with that with less worry about making the soil in your lasagne
bed too alkaline.
Old July 14, 2009   #12
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Thaks Dice,
Cantonment is about 1 1/2 hours from Mobile, I have many friends that live in the area though. I'll check this one out though, sounds interesting, thanks.
PS: I need to change my location, I just moved from Pensacola to Mobile AL.
Old July 14, 2009   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

I noticed that there were a lot of listings from Pensacola in
the Mobile, AL Craig's List. Apparently listers expect that people
will make the drive down there if they really want something
(maybe they all work at gas stations).
Old July 14, 2009   #14
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

I have actually made that drive quite often but it does get quite old. I used to live in Pensacola and just moved to Mobile AL so most of my frieds are in Pensacola, who knows if I make it that way I'll definetely call this numbers so I can go visit friends and get some free manure as well.