Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 12, 2016   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Merced OP

This one was sent to me as Merced OP. Looking for comments or observations from others who have grown the Hybrid variety of Merced which is no longer available. The seed I received certainly gave me a great tasting tomato that looks very much like the original hybrid.

Here's the information that I've gathered on this OP version. "Red, round, Regular Leaf, semi-determinate, mid season."

My seed source was traced back to a family in the Willamette valley that had been growing and saving these seeds for some 50 years. I think this is the real deal and is a dehybridized version of popular old hybrid named Merced. It reminds me of Better Boy, but the flavor is a bit milder.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MercedOP2.JPG (236.4 KB, 121 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2016   #2
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I grew Merced for several years back in the early 90's. I liked it a lot! The f1 Merced were large tomatoes, with many around a pound. The ONLY fault I had with it was its more orange than red color especially in the late season.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hellmans, you caused me to find out that I had posted the wrong picture here. When you stated that the fruits were larger. it twirped my brain and I realized that I had better check my data. I do that anytime something casts some doubt on what I'm displaying.

Short story is that I put the wrong picture in the initial post of this thread. That is actually Bison. Here is the tomato I grew and photographed and ate that is Merced OP.

Hellmans, Thank You a bunch. Now, does this look a little bit closer to what you remember???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MercedOP1.JPG (286.3 KB, 77 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2016   #4
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Yep, that's more like it, Ted!

I really liked Merced for the few years I grew it until seed became unavailable. After Merced, I found Fabulous f1 to replace it, and REALLY grew fond of it, until poof it was gone too. I am now on the f4 generation of the Fabulous grow outs, and really like what I'm seeing.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Really.. really nice looking tomatoes ( the right pic). Also nice to see another hard to find, rare, heirloom back in circulation and not lost.

Psst.. I got the bacon ready. Looks like a good one for a BLT for breakfast. ; )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote