Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 7, 2014   #16
solid7
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I like to use Diatomaceous earth instead of vermiculite. DE really does not ever breakdown. Both perlite and vermiculite do eventually.
It's fine to use as long as you don't mix it with any other ingredient that DOES break down. (i.e., peat or coco) Otherwise, it's a whole lot of work to screen it out.
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2014   #17
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid7 View Post
It's fine to use as long as you don't mix it with any other ingredient that DOES break down. (i.e., peat or coco) Otherwise, it's a whole lot of work to screen it out.
Well I just throw that in the raised beds, you know after a few years using as a potting mix. My beds are almost all organic material. Every year I add more, so yes I mix it with those products. I also use perlite which has about a 6 year liftime. But so what if it turns to mush, it probably doesn't hurt anything. So that goes in the beds too. Perlite will work for a few years in the beds.
I have used pumice too, but it is expensive. Eventully that too will end up in the raised beds.

I'm not going to filter it out. So yeah it's long life does little good in the pots, but it helps retain water, and adds the trace element silicon to the raised beds.

Last edited by drew51; December 7, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #18
jmhewitt
Tomatovillian™

HOO RAY!!!! Lowes has pine bark fines again and it is CHEEP!

item # 328073: organic soil conditioner at $2.45 for 1.5 cubic feet!!
jmhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #19
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhewitt View Post
HOO RAY!!!! Lowes has pine bark fines again and it is CHEEP!

item # 328073: organic soil conditioner at $2.45 for 1.5 cubic feet!!
I can't seem to find it on the website? Do you have a link for it? or a picture? thanks!
Old April 12, 2015   #20
biodarwin
Tomatovillian™

I never have a problem finding pine bark. I do have an issue with larger than ideal partial size. I bought a light diffuser and used it to sort out the large pieces. Then I used the large pieces to add a layer on the top to help with evaporation.
biodarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #21
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Need help with what to do with the containers I planted my tomatoes. It's been 2 weeks and they probably grew big roots all over so I shouldn't take them out, replce the soil completely and replant them.
I used ground soil and only added a small portion of peat based mix bought from supermarket.
Now I think maybe I could add some sand for good drainage and for solving the issue of soil becoming really compact as season goes. And of course water frequently with some liquid fertilizer, like seaweed fertilizer.
One more question: Can I use sea sand if I wash it with fresh water for the salt to wash away?
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #22
elight
Tomatovillian™

Although I always see pine mulch on the Lowe's website, I've never actually seen it in store. Chalk it up to regional supply variations. I did find a local garden center that always has it, though, and sells it for $3.50 per 2 cu. ft. bag. Pretty much the same story everywhere I've lived... You can find it, it just may take some searching and driving.

That same store also sells Fafard products, which I have found to perform as well as Pro-Mix at about half the cost.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2015   #23
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I had a "chat" with a Lowes rep and she said since the store site showed the Timberline Soil Conditioner, which is composted pine bark fines, that it could be special ordered.

I used to could get it at Walmart and Lowes any time. Not now, darn it.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote