Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 16, 2020   #1
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Default Red marconi pepper

Hi, What are the features of the red marconi as it compares to the giant marconi? I've read so many different descriptions of the red marconi, which is accurate?

I've planted giant marconi and really like them. But I've read that red marconi can be 3" wide and 12" long. Also read they're under 8". I've also seen a lot of pictures which are very different as well. Does it depend where you get your seeds?

Which is wider and longer?
Which has thicker walls?
Does it have a pointy end or 3-lobed end?

I would like to be able to plant and save seeds from the red marconi but only if they outshine the giant marconi or at least be very similar.
Thanks for any help!!
GardeningGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

To my taste, the hybrid Giant Marconi F1 tastes like a nice sweet, juicy, fully ripened green pepper. The main attribute is that it has higher production and turns green to red much earlier in the season.

I much prefer the taste of a fully ripe Red Marconi. The walls are thick but not as drippy juicy. giving the flavor a richer concentrated taste.

I grow both, only due to the reliability of they hybrid. For the heirloom, yes to all sizes and shapes depending on seed source. That's the fun of pulling out a package to see what you get.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2020   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grew both one year. Prefer the Giant Marconi hybrid due to their larger size. I didn't find the OP Red Marconi to be any earlier for me, and could not say whether the taste was any better.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020   #4
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Lisa and ddsack. Looks like I'm going to have to try it too!! Lisa, thank you for such a detailed description of both peppers. ddsack, very nice picture!!
Old January 20, 2020   #5
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

I have fresh Red Marconi seeds if anyone is looking for some. Send me SASE for the seeds.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2020   #6
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
I have fresh Red Marconi seeds if anyone is looking for some. Send me SASE for the seeds.

You have all the seeds and are so kind and generous with your seed offers!!
Old January 27, 2020   #7
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Gardenboy for your generous offer, but I won't be able to try them this year. As I looked at the seeds I already purchased, turns out I already have 9 varieties. At 5 a piece, that's 45 plants, holy moly I keep telling myself I'll cut back but I read the descriptions and I'm hooked!
This year I'm hoping to keep a journal with pictures so I can do a better comparison.
So far
King Arthur, Margaret's(new)
Hajduczek(new), Ajvarski(Kurtovska Kapya-new)
Giant Marconi, Early Sunsation
Zolotistyi(new), Gourmet(orange)
Orange Bell(new)
It will be on my list for next year(unless I change my mind between now and March!)

Sorry I'm so late replying. And thanks again! This is a really nice gardening community!!
Kate
Old September 3, 2020   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Gardenboy;752694]I have fresh Red Marconi seeds if anyone is looking for some. Send me SASE for the seeds. [/QUOTE

What size peppers do you estimate these seeds produce?

I had never heard of red marconi until this last year or two, but a few years back I grew out seeds obtained from a farm stand pepper my brother brought down one summer day. It was orange and 8-9" long, maybe 3" diameter at the top, and basically three sided. I thought it would be a hot pepper, but it was a sweet pepper. Back then I knew marginally less about peppers then than I do now. I had bagged the seed as "farm stand pablano"! But since I read about giant marconi, that's what I've been thinking it was.

Does that sound like a Marconi?

The seeds grew out roughly the same, probably only 2" diameter and 7" long and turned red rather quickly, but I don't know if I saved from any of them.

Last edited by JRinPA; September 3, 2020 at 02:03 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2020   #9
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=JRinPA;759531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
I have fresh Red Marconi seeds if anyone is looking for some. Send me SASE for the seeds. [/QUOTE

What size peppers do you estimate these seeds produce?

I had never heard of red marconi until this last year or two, but a few years back I grew out seeds obtained from a farm stand pepper my brother brought down one summer day. It was orange and 8-9" long, maybe 3" diameter at the top, and basically three sided. I thought it would be a hot pepper, but it was a sweet pepper. Back then I knew marginally less about peppers then than I do now. I had bagged the seed as "farm stand pablano"! But since I read about giant marconi, that's what I've been thinking it was.

Does that sound like a Marconi?

The seeds grew out roughly the same, probably only 2" diameter and 7" long and turned red rather quickly, but I don't know if I saved from any of them.
That does sound like a giant marconi. I grow Marconi Red, and they get to the size you refer to at the end, maybe 7" long and a couple inches diameter. They are really scrumptious!

I save seeds, but I don't bag blossoms and I grow a bunch of different peppers close together in containers - so there is more "variation" sometimes. The peppers can be smaller, or blockier.

This year, my Marconi Reds are ripening orange. Must be from proximity to my Orange Corno's (those usually get huge) or some orange bell types. Here are a couple pics (the skinnier long peppers to the right are Jimmy Nardellos).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3988.jpg (147.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3976.jpg (142.2 KB, 76 views)
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote