Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 9, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help with reusing old soil!

I have a ton of soil in containers leftover from last year. I plan to reuse it; I need help with how to go about how to 'revitalize' it (add nutrients and fertility back to it).

I make my soil in 30 gallon batches (one batch=30 gallons) and for each 30 gallon batch I add 2 cups of Osmocote (or other similar slow-release fertilizer).

The Osmocote was added last year at the beginning of the growing season (end of May); I made soil later in the season too (July thru August).

However the variety of Osmocote I have is about 3-4 months with how long it'll provide nutrients/fertilize the plants.

My question is this....

The fertilizer (osmocote) is still in the soil mix from last year; however even with the soil mix I made later in the previous year (July-August) is the Osmocote essentially spent/'dead' even though it's in the soil mix?

I know since it's old soil from last year, I'll have to amend it. The Osmocote in there is most likely spent; however will be fertilizing too much by adding new fertilizer since there is Osmocote already in there (even though it's 'dead')?

Last edited by aimeruni; May 9, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

You are thinking the whole situation through correctly. It is a guessing game a bit. Do the compromise dance and add less nutrients for awhile...with the idea some may be left in there. I usually add new potting mix to old mix (only if no disease was present the prior year). You have not incorporated any ground "soil" in your containers have you?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I tend to add compost, some new soil mix and sometimes some organic fertiliser to the mix that I rework of previous year's container mix. I mix them in a large wheelbarrow (sorry can't tell you how big it is exactly. I have had as many as 160 pots/containers growing during the season when in full swing. I mark my containers with numbers 1 through 5. No. 5 gets all new container mix and compost that year and the old container mix is dumped in the flower garden beds or the compost . No. 1-4 get a remix of new and old. Basically the numbers correspond to the years. By the 5th year I dump it. Been doing this for about 14 years now.

Don't know if that helps.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote