Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 4, 2015   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Summer Squash question

This is my first visit to the forum in a while, so please excuse me if I am repeating a question already asked. This is my first time growing yellow squash. I think I let one of my fruits stay on the plant too long. It is all warty looking and a very deep yellow, bordering on orange. It formed a hard shell like a winter squash. I can't even get a knife through it.

The fruit itself is not very large. I've pulled a bunch that were slightly bigger, and they were all fine. I'm guessing this one just matured at a smaller size. I've seen cucumbers do that. Anyway, my question is can I still do anything with it, or should this one go into the compost pile?

I've also noticed the plants have a bit of a foul odor to them. Are squash plants normally stinky?
Old June 4, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Compost pile and yes they have a smell.
Some wild gourds and such really stink.
Stinking gourds here in Texas comes to mind.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hi Fert1

I'm glad to see you are posting.

With that hard yellow squash - you might be able to get viable seeds from it if you are interested. I am growing Gialle squash for a friend here just to get them to that hard stage so I can send him some seeds. It is a vining zucchini squash.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #4
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

If it is an open-pollinated variety, you can let a couple get that way to save seeds. I always let mine do that after harvesting for a while, but it will slow down production.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote