Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 4, 2007   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

I've wanted to grow garlic the past year or two, but haven't had anywhere to grow it. That will hopefully change after I move at the end of July, so next year I'd like to give it a try. It appears to be a fun 'thing' to grow, and the pictures of the varieties in the seed catalogs look spectacular. I'm thinking it was the SSE catalog that had some very nice looking varieties in it - along with great sounding descriptions.

My problem is I've never been a garlic consumer. (It tends to chase away the girls, hah.) So I'm not sure what I'd actually use it for. I'm guessing maybe soups or chili? I just don't know, so I thought I'd ask what you ladies and gentlemen use garlic for. If I can figure out a use for it that would suit me I'd be able to justify the garden space when I finally have some. I looked through a couple of garlic threads and didn't find the answer to my question, although a couple people mentioned garlic and tomatoes are a good combination.

Hope this question hasn't been asked before. I didn't see a thread on it anywhere.

Thanks in advance, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #2
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

One thing you can make that is fabulous is roasted garlic. It not only mellows the flavors but really sweetens the taste also. Use it as a spread on bread for one.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

Thanks neoguy,

The one way I do enjoy garlic is to have garlic bread with lasagna or spaghetti. I'm sure homemade is better than the store bought, like most things. If I do get to grow garlic I'll surely be reading up on it's uses.
Thanks again, Jeff
Old July 4, 2007   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeff,

I use garlic in salsas, stews, to make garlic butter and my favorite is fresh in salads. I don't have to worry about scaring the ladies anymore!!!! They were scared away a long time ago.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #5
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Garlic is one of those things that is really good for you. Some think it may play a part in preventing cancer too. If we don't have garlic bread we go through at least one head each week - salad dressings, marinades, hummus, sphagetti sauce, pork roast, Chinese almost anything..... well, just about everything I cook that isn't sweet.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2007   #6
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

Thanks for the replies.

Alex, just curious, when you use garlic in your salad do you just use small chips off a fresh clove, or do you roast it first? That would definitely add an interesting flavor to a salad. As for the ladies, at 42 I've pretty much chased them all away as well.
Ten years ago, well now, that's another story.

Granny, interesting you bring up the health benefits of garlic. As I was scouring the web looking for sellers of garlic & potatoes today, I came across a description for the variety Siberian. They mentioned it had the highest level of a substance that is believed to help fight cancer (or prevent it?), and increase circulation. Plus, it appears to be a good variety to grow anyways. I'll keep that one in mind for September or October, whichever month will be good for planting garlic in my neck of the woods.

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; July 4, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Correct a word
Old July 4, 2007   #7
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

I use fresh crushed garlic on my salads and salsas Sometimes I will use roasted but I find that the flavour gets weaker. Roasted is definately nice as a spread on some nice crusty bread.

Didn't know about the Siberian. I did get five sets this spring and planted them to see what they taste like. They seem to be doing well but not as good as the fall planted garlic.

Yes there is a lot of folk wisdom surrounding garlic. Recent research has shown that claims about reducing blood pressure are exaggerated as are some others. From personal experience I find that it works as a immune system booster and great antiseptic. Whenever I feel a cold coming on I load up on lots of fresh garlic and vitamin C and it alleviates the symptoms. To get the most out of garlic it should be eaten fresh as soon as possible. When cooking with it I wait until almost tot he end before I add garlic. If you like to try if fresh mix it with some natural yougurt it helps with the smell.

One thing I can say with certainty is that garlic works to fend off vampires. My grandmother used to place cloves under my pillow when I was very young and no vampire attacks as of yet!!! Now if only the ladies would not be so offended by its wonderful smell.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2007   #8
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

Thanks Alex,

I'll have to keep that Vitamin C & Garlic trick in mind next winter. I never used to get sick until after living in tropical & sub-tropical climates for almost 5 years, then moving back to northern climates. Out of the 4 winters I've been in colder climates again, I've gotten seriously ill during two of them. This last winter I was sick for a couple of months. I'll make sure to stock up on some garlic just in case. And if I hear any rumors of vampires in the neighborhood I'll sure know what to do now. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Garlic is definitely something I'll have to read up on before trying to grow. Chances are I'll only have pots to grow in for the next year or two (perhaps on a balcony or back patio), so getting the soil amended properly while trying to keep it well drained might be a challenge. With peppers & tomatoes I can get away with just a little fertilizer now and then, but garlic and potatoes may need more 'food'. I'm speculating but it seems logical to me anyways.

Thanks, Jeff
Old July 7, 2007   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

JB, I did a Google search on Garlic Recipe and here's what I got. :-)

Results 1 - 100 of about 2,490,000 English pages for garlic recipe
Old July 8, 2007   #10
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

Earl wrote: "JB, I did a Google search on Garlic Recipe and here's what I got."

Thanks Earl. Yeah, I know about Google as I do use it once in awhile. I was just curious as to how people on here enjoy using garlic. If people googled everything they wanted to know about growing, crossing, pest control, or whatever, there wouldn't be much traffic at places like GW & TV.

Jeff
Old July 17, 2007   #11
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Garlic can be cut up and cooked with tomato's and onions for a tremendous sauce. It can also be used to spice up many other dishes and give lots of flavor. Some people cut slices in roasts and slip a clove of garlic in many positions, then cook.

Some people pickle garlic... Cleaned and skinned cloves can be pickled with baby cucumbers and or hot peppers or just by themselves. Be careful if you pickle with eggs or sausage! The smell can be .......

Then there are people that cut up lots of cloves from garlic, and dehydrate it... It can be ground up into a powder to store in a shaker or bag in your freezer. Also can be done into flakes to be used the same way!

Roasting garlic is a very popular way to enjoy your garlic. Roasting the garlic can be a very tasty spread on crackers or vegetables or to place on many dishes.

My favorite way to enjoy garlic is to make into Garlic Butter! We cut up 2-3 large cloves of garlic real fine and place it into a container with 1 cup of butter or margarine, mix it well, then place the lid back on the container to seal it. Place it back into the fridge or cooler location, and leave it for 12 hours or more... The longer the better! When we take the lid off, you can really smell the garlic... Stir well again and add a 1/4 cup of grated or powdered parmesan cheese, stir well again! Now spread on top of sliced French Bread or Sourdough Bread, sliced buns work well too... Broil in oven for a few minutes to lightly brown the top of the bread or buns. Now enjoy!

People even slice up their garlic very fine and mix into a large amount of butter. Then they roll the garlic butter into rolls of wax paper, then into a container, and store in the freezer. When you need some garlic butter, slice some off!
A great idea to enjoy good tasting garlic year round, instead of the garbage you get at the supermarket that is old and mostly flavorless...

Hope this helps!

Randy
Old July 17, 2007   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

garlic ice cream

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #13
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Don't laugh! I went to a Garlic Festival last year and there was garlic beer and ice cream... The ice cream was actually edible! Go figure...

Randy
Old July 18, 2007   #14
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, I grow a lot of garlic, was just trying to be helpful. :-) It's at its best in mid-late spring when it's tall enough to be called "green garlic" and sort of looks like a green onion. One uses the entire plant in cooking. It's milder than a garlic clove.

I even use the bulbils, roasted in some EVOO the flavor is great.
Old July 18, 2007   #15
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Your garlic use?

Randy, Thanks for all the great ideas for garlic use. If I have a place for it this fall I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it a try. In the past I was never a big eater so I wasn't into cooking either. But as I've gotten older and my appetite has increased I've found myself wanting to grow fresh 'stuff' for cooking. Now I'll have to teach myself how to cook, which may be tougher than learning how to grow all this stuff!

Worth, Garlic ice cream? Not sure if I'm that brave yet but maybe in time. Hah.

Earl, Yeah, I realize you were just trying to help. I appreciate all the ideas you guys have given me. I'm hoping the next place I rent (after my move in a couple of weeks), has some outdoor space for me to at least have a few containers in. If so, I'd like to try at least one variety each of garlic and potatoes. Just something new to experiment with. And the rest of the containers will be used mainly for tomatoes and peppers in '08. I'll finally be able to use some of the seeds I bought and traded for! I can't wait.

Thanks for all the ideas guys,

Jeff