Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2019   #61
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla View Post
My favorite tomatoes for taste.
Black Brandywine
Tim's black ruffles
Hillbilly
Pink honey
Marizol purple
I love Tim’s Black Ruffles! For some reason it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
Old January 24, 2019   #62
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Tizebra (gwr, not yet released) is the best tasting for me, and it is like that all season, every season, which makes a huge difference compared to the usual, much more fickle, tomatoes.
Spears Tennessee Green is very good, balanced, fantastic rich gwr taste, not as consistently good however. Cracks a lot.

Pink Berkley Tie Dye is also very good if you like a rather acid tomato but with solid flavour.
Galina is of course the best cherry if you're disappointed in the usual too sweet cherries.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2019   #63
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

This is my first season with a garden (although small) since we moved back to Oregon.That said,what I enjoyed in the PI was:

Wes
Kosovo
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box)..thanks to Darlene for suggesting this one to me.
Anna Russian

This year we plan on adding Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and maybe Akers West Virginia,based on Fusion Power's assessment.

I should also consider the variety that started it all for me,and that is Cowlick.I may drop the Kosovo,as I could never get the green shoulders to mature,and would end up cutting away that portion of the Tomato.

comments on my selections are welcome,as I haven't sourced any seeds yet.

And I need to check the forums for the fave cherry tom.I really like Tommy Toe even though the skin is a little on the tougher side.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; January 24, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019   #64
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Dragon's Eye from Wild Boar Farms is an exceptionally sweet salad tomato, with the right amount of sun.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019   #65
charley
Tomatovillian™

Default brimmer

brimmer.jpgAttachment 85850
brimmer a old heirloom from virginia that won grand prize in jamestown exposition in 1907 for size and taste possibly from the ponderosa strain around 1889.produces lots of 1 to 2 pound pink purple meaty fruits.to me they are very sweet

Last edited by charley; February 4, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #66
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

My favorites are:

Cherry: Ambrosia Gold, Gardener's Delight
Slicer: Azoychka, Cherokee Purple and Siberian Pink Honey
Beefsteak: Kellogg's Breakfast, Big Rainbow, Cowlicks Brandywine, Marianna's Peace and NAR
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020   #67
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple no questions asked. They are consistent from year to year. I enter a Tomatofest held every year in Austin, Texas put on by John Dromgolle owner of the Natural Gardener. It is a tomato tasting contest for Hobbyist tomato growers like myself, and commercial growers. I won first place for the best tasting tomato in 2013, 2015, and 2019 with a Cherokee Purple. I also have a large family of 5 children, and 4 grand children. They all love Cherokee Purple the best.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020   #68
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
So much depends on the weather. My favorite tomato one year never seems to be the same the next year. Too much rain waters down flavor, and I think does so worst in yellow and orange varieties. A dry year can concentrate flavor, which I think best suits red varieties.
I agree with this^^ 100%. I get the "what's the best tasting tomato?" question a lot from friends and family that know I grow dozens of varieties each year. IMO, Brandywine Sudduth has had the best, most complex flavor, over the years. It can be miserly in production, however. Recent "best of the year" awards have gone to Rebel Yell and Linda's Faux.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2020   #69
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Almost nothing best suits reds, in my garden.

Brandywine Sudduth... over the years.

Yes. But my problem is that it's the best tasting only 3 times in more than 15 of gardening. It's out there every year, with my hoping for that best.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote