Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old June 14, 2017   #16
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Rosemary also thrives as a houseplant, for the dry soil and neglect that it gets - although it will also get leggy for trying to climb out the windows towards that sun!

My rosemary is huge and a shocking shape... I just potted up to a ten gallon container and a summer in the greenhouse, but I need to air layer and root the gazillion disoriented side shoots.

They root very quickly in water, too.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Sage, thyme, chives, rhubarb...you mentioned lovage Bower in another post. Ah, and
french tarragon comes back. I do have one tomato re-seed this year. I think it is a
SunGold by its leaf form.
And in NFLD, darn nettles. Much stronger sting than the Catskill nettles.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

I don't have nettles but my friend's farm is full of them. Cutting rhubarb for a restaurant order the other day, stuck my bare hand right down into nettles! It stung for a full day.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
They root very quickly in water, too.
Yeah I need to deal with the last few 'extra' tomatoes so I can get on with Project Rosemary. It is so bad, seriously embarrassing. Need all surplus toms and potting stuff out of the way so that I may stretch her Highness out and figure out the best way to proceed.
Old June 14, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last year drowned a bunch of mine.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

@ oakley, Lemon Balm is another edible herb that is hardy here. Winter Savory I had for years but finally perished engulfed by moss and conifers. Horseradish and Sunchokes I got from the farm, they are perennial but not especially enthused with my site/companions so far. I suspect the ravens of plucking up horseradish, although a few have survived. Egyptian Onions and other perennial green onions, leeks etc overwintering no problem, garlic especially porcelains even seem to relish the cold spring weather as long as snow is off.
Many perennial medicinal herbs that thrive in my garden, culinary are scarcer but they are cherished!! I have seen parsley overwinter at other sites (not the frost pocket). And if not overwinter, both parsley and cilantro will self seed a patch if allowed. Kale likewise, my mother's kale patch is a yearly free for all. Some kales overwinter for early spring greens and "mockoli".