Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 31, 2016   #346
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

On their website it indicates the mix includes Pink Tiger, Blush and Green Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I found an Artisan Blend but nowhere does it state which tigers it contains. 15 seeds for 3.49 seems pretty high. I thought it was a mislabeling but it appears to be a triple play pack.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #347
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I have decided to ship to Canada, but one thing that I worry about is having a bunch of Canadian orders for single seed packets where the price really doesn't cover all of the costs (including increased postage and the time to fill out forms at the Post Office).

So, I have added a flat $2 charge for shipping to Canada.

I changed the website (at least I think I did). Please let me know if you have any trouble ordering now.

Cheers,
Fred
Thank you, the charge is fair, & I'll look later today. I am patiently awaiting your hybrid availability - any chance for the 2017 seaason?
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #348
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
On their website it indicates the mix includes Pink Tiger, Blush and Green Tiger.
Gotcha
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #349
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Here is the situation with our hybrids --

1. Johnny's Selected Seeds has distribution rights to anything that is deemed to be a potential product that we both can be proud of, and we both can make $$ on.

2. When we release a variety with Johnny's, there is a year lag between when a hybrid is selected for release, and when it is released. This is because hybrid seed needs to be produced, and this takes approximately one year.

3. We may first release a small number of hybrids directly on our website, only with Johnny's permission, and only when we think they have potential (even if they are a bit off-beat). We have not decided if we will release any hybrids directly in 2017 because our field trials have not been fully evaluated.

4. Anyone interested in trialing some of our test hybrids in 2017 may do so by joining our Collaborating Members program.

A note about Johnny's support of us -- Johnny's helped us finish up and release the 7 varieties of true-breeding Artisan Cherry Tomatoes that are available. Because the lines are true-breeding, and they were not PVP protected, Johnny's essentially subsidized our work, but then lost most every advantage after the first year of release. Indeed, in the second year, many other seed companies released the varieties and basically siphoned off a large portion of the seed sales of the Artisan Cherry tomatoes. With it, we actually saw a decrease in our royalties the second year of release and the royalties we have seen have come no where close to covering the costs of our breeding work (past and present).

I am relating this, not because Johnny's Selected Seeds or Artisan Seeds need any sympathy, or because we wouldn't do it all over again. This is because, in the future, we also plan to release hybrid varieties that will combine other traits (long shelf life, disease resistance and better architecture) with the flavors and colors we have developed. The hybrids should allow us to make a profit, if and only if they are truly valuable to growers. We think they will be.

At the same time we will continue to produce some new exciting OP varieties, that will very likely make us nothing, even if they become very popular. The reason is, when a variety becomes popular, there are always a number of businesses that want to sell them too, and in the case of an extremely popular variety, one can also expect to be undercut by larger seed businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Thank you, the charge is fair, & I'll look later today. I am patiently awaiting your hybrid availability - any chance for the 2017 seaason?

Last edited by Fred Hempel; July 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old July 31, 2016   #350
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is the situation with our hybrids --
I am relating this, not because Johnny's Selected Seeds or Artisan Seeds need any sympathy, or because we wouldn't do it all over again. This is because, in the future, we also plan to release hybrid varieties that will combine other traits (long shelf life, disease resistance and better architecture) with the flavors and colors we have developed. The hybrids should allow us to make a profit, if and only if they are truly valuable to growers. We think they will be.
Thank you for providing the update, and I look forward to supporting your hybrid efforts.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #351
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Our BEST workshop of the year is scheduled for August 20th.

Why is it the best? It is the best because it will include a very extensive tasting of the best ripe tomatoes in our fields!
Old August 2, 2016   #352
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Well, after all of the reading, I ordered some Orange Jazz seeds!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #353
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

A Bay Area tomato event

Brad Gates will be there.

Food and mixed tomato drinks served.
Old August 13, 2016   #354
sfoeyl
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! Saw that on my FB post. Looking forward to seeing you and Brad.
sfoeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #355
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed a mistake in this post. The workshop is August 21st (not the 20th).

And there are lots of tomatoes to taste!

Quote:
Our BEST workshop of the year is scheduled for August 20th.

Why is it the best? It is the best because it will include a very extensive tasting of the best ripe tomatoes in our fields!
Old August 22, 2016   #356
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Fred, I became a collaborating member last year, from Canada. Do I rejoin or how does it work to receive new releases or I'd be happy to trial one of your potential varieties. I've decided to grow Orange Jazz for next year, and Yellow Tiger which I had previously grown. Keep them coming!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #357
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No, you just get stuff every year, for 10 years. I will contact you this winter to tell you what we have, and you make your 2017 selections then. A great deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Fred, I became a collaborating member last year, from Canada. Do I rejoin or how does it work to receive new releases or I'd be happy to trial one of your potential varieties. I've decided to grow Orange Jazz for next year, and Yellow Tiger which I had previously grown. Keep them coming!
Old August 23, 2016   #358
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Hey! What's this Yellow Tiger? I want it!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #359
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I don't know. Blush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Hey! What's this Yellow Tiger? I want it!
Old September 9, 2016   #360
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Lucinda