Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 25, 2018   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default New at WM - Magic Dirt

This is new at my WM, but reviews show it is in year 3 online. The price in store is $7.99 for 1 cu ft. It has earned all sorts of kudos from different organizations that I am not familiar with.

The composition is cow poo and forest products. No peat coir perlite or vermiculite.

Seems like the idea formula for peppers and tomato transplants.

More than one review reported a green slime mold. I bought a bag which I have not opened. Now I am concerned.

Any first hand experience?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

From Walmart:

About this item
Disclaimer: While we aim to provide accurate product information, it is provided by manufacturers, suppliers and others, and has not been verified by us. See our disclaimer.

Magic Dirt Organic Premium Potting Soil is the perfect soil for growing plants from seeds and nourishes transplanted seedlings and plants in a pot, no other product needed. Magic Dirt contains abundant naturally occurring nutrients for vigorous growth, holds 3 times its dry weight in moisture, and the long fiber length provides for soil aeration. Use indoors and outdoors. Spread in gardens to keep soil loose and moist. Contains abundant nurtients for vigorous plant growth; More naturally occurring nitrogen, phosphorus & soluable potash than other brands; Contains no peat moss, coir, vermiculite or perlite; Helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions; Retains 3 times its dry weight in water without adding other ingredients; Long fiber lengths provide soil aeration for root growth; Grows plants from seeds; Nourishes transplanted seedlings and plants in a pot; Use indoors or outdoors; Spread in gardens to keep soil loose and moist; Certified Organic; Certified 100% BioBased by USDA BioPreferred Program; Certified for use in organic production; Co-product of generating renewable energy; Named Consumer Innovation of the Year in international competition at BioProducts World Conference; Environmentally responsible; Sustainable.

I personally think it's too much advertising about things that young customers want to read. The fact has always been that the rich want to profit from the wants of the customer, and to do so as cheaply as possible. The absence of peat moss, coir, vermiculite or perlite tells you that. (New and improved always means a lesser product).
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It could be mostly wood chips with a little cow poop mixed in. Sounds pricey, but you could stretch it and improve it with some peat moss, coir, vermiculite and/or perlite.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I did a little google search and found this about Magic Dirt. It is only available in 30% of the country according to the website.
http://www.magic-dirt.com/about
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I would stay away from it. Any mix that says "dirt" or "soil" carries the threat of fungus. I lost about 70% of my pepper & tomato seedlings a few yrs back due to this very problem.

Craig LeHoullier (nctomatoman) recommends soilless stater mix and Black Kow manure in a 2:1 ratio.

Jon
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #6
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

It is called "Magic Dirt" but it does not contain dirt. according to their website:

[I]Magic Dirt™ is formulated with anaerobically digested organic fiber and composted forest products; however, it is not compost, and it contains no peat moss, coir, perlite or vermiculite.

Peat moss, perlite and vermiculite are not sustainable products and the company is trying to make a sustainable product. The peat moss and coir are not needed because the cow poo, after being used in the biomass-to-energy generators leave the now sterilized long plant fibers that serve the same purpose as peat moss or coir.

I think the idea of the company is good

From the link above:
Our initial idea was to develop biomass-to-energy facilities located next to dairy farms. Our thinking: Why not use anaerobic digesters to create a sustainable, renewable source of energy? So, that’s what we did.
With partners, we’ve developed $30 million in biomass-to-energy facilities, all anaerobic digesters located on dairy farms. The methane from cattle manure is captured and used to create renewable energy. As you read this, the projects we developed are producing enough renewable energy to power 5,000 homes 24/7. We also receive carbon credits for keeping the methane out of the environment. (U.N. studies show that methane is 84 times more of a pollutant than CO2 over a 20-year period.)
A co-product of the digester process is a pathogen-free, nutrient-rich fiber that has been proved to be a sustainable alternative to peat moss. But, we had to figure out what to do with it!
After years of experimenting, making mistakes, testing and making more mistakes, we had our Eureka! moment. Magic Dirt is, quite literally, the by-product of our process.
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #7
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
This is new at my WM, but reviews show it is in year 3 online. The price in store is $7.99 for 1 cu ft. It has earned all sorts of kudos from different organizations that I am not familiar with.

The composition is cow poo and forest products. No peat coir perlite or vermiculite.

Seems like the idea formula for peppers and tomato transplants.

More than one review reported a green slime mold. I bought a bag which I have not opened. Now I am concerned.

Any first hand experience?

- Lisa
I saw this at WM yesterday; decided not to risk it though. I did pickup a nice size bag of worm castings for $4, thought that was a good deal. Seems like the WM I went to still has all the potting supplies on clearance from the winter months...

For my seedlings, I just picked up a few of the lg. 3 cu ft. bags of Fox Farms Ocean Forest from Earl May. It's expensive ($30/bag) but my seedlings look amazing every time. I just can't stop buying it, based on results only. I'll have about 500 seedlings this yr, with flowers. Looking good so far!
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Could be good for container growing. For transplants I'd probably stick to good old peat.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #9
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I can get the 1.5 cu ft bags of Ocean Forest for $14 at a local "all seasons" gardening shop. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It is only a bit cheaper than your $30 per 3 cu ft bags. They are twice as easy to carry.

For my seedlings, I just picked up a few of the lg. 3 cu ft. bags of Fox Farms Ocean Forest from Earl May. It's expensive ($30/bag) but my seedlings look amazing every time. I just can't stop buying it, based on results only. I'll have about 500 seedlings this yr, with flowers. Looking good so far![/QUOTE]
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #10
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I might go see if my local WM has it and see if there's an open/damaged bag to see what it looks/feels like.

IMHO, however, the best stuff for container gardening is Patio Plus by Kellogg. This stuff has always served me amazingly well.