Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 5, 2017   #1
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

Default 95 days from setting out transplants. Indeterminate.

Now, I know that the days to harvest are an estimate but 95? That is from the new offering from Park Seeds,
Giant Garden Paste Hybrid Tomato

The Perfect Blend of Sweet and Tangy!

It made the cover of the catalog so I was looking into it. I tried the Burpee 'Super Sauce' last year and although it did put out some large red things, they were not appetizing nor was the vine very cooperative in growing up my strings. Now, Burpee is pushing a 'Gladiator' indeterminate that is good for the patio. Gimme a break. Are they just re branding the 'Super Sauce'? lol.

But at least that one brags about being 72 days from transplant.

95 days? That's long enough for the plant to submit to blight before it puts out its first cluster.

Sheesh.

Ralph
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #2
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

I don't get the catalog (order online) but something in their marketing got me to buy these seeds this year. I completely ignored the DTM and actually didn't even realize it was an indeterminate!

Whats a little strange is that of my 12 varieties I am growing, it was the very first plant to set a fruit! I am at a little less than 40 days from planting out.

Last edited by Kpr121; June 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Kpr121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

95 days from plant out is way LATE season. If your seedling wa 55 days when planted out, this will make 150 days from seed.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #4
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

side question here, what is the early to late range of tomatoes getting flowers please? from transplant, not seed.

thanks

Z
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
side question here, what is the early to late range of tomatoes getting flowers please? from transplant, not seed.

thanks

Z
There is no official designation. Her what I think are mostly accepted DTM (plant out to maturity of the first fruit ):

EARLY: 65 days or less.
MID : 70 to 85 days
Late : 90 days plus.

Flowering is not a guarantee for early harvest. But generally it takes anywhere from 35 to 55 days from flower/swollen bud to ripe tomato. It depends on the fruit size and variety .
I like "From Seed" rating better. What is you just direct sow ? Right now I am growing from seed outside. I could have done it right in the ground but I don't have space now. So I have to keep them in pot until I find a vacancy.
Tomatoes are very similar to potatoes. It takes about 90 to 120 days from seed to harvest.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote