Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2017   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default What are the causes for tomatoes not flowering

Someone else asked why their tomatoes were not flowering.

I asked for what variety they were, haven't heard back yet.

Here is what I suggested:

Might be a late variety.

Might be cooler than usual or temps over 90 which stops fruit set, does that stop flowering as well?

Too much N in soil or that was added.

Any thing else that is obvious?

Thanks

z
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

90's will not prevent flowering, just fruit set.

Try giving them some phosphorous to encourage blooming.

Yes, it might be a late variety, a very young plant or too much nitrogen.
Old June 9, 2017   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I can think of TOO MUCH NITROGEN.
Tomato plants when deprived from enough food, would flower more and much early. Because they figure that they have reached the end of rope and so must fulfill their mission,ie, produce seeds.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

it's only June 9, when were they planted? variety?
I think it's likely just early. are there buds?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

For me here in 10 b,there seems to be a pollen/ humidity factor in the demise of blooms(I do mostly cherrys).When humidity is high the pollen will lump versus dry and releasing to the elements(buds).When I notice the yellow knuckles at flowers it is over for that set.They fall of at next vibrations.In the archives there are/is plenty or remedies,the vibrating tools,electric toothbrushes,plain old hand pollinization,shaking,mimicking wind/insect pollinization.Trick seems to get the timing,10-12 for me in am.When the petals only fall,your good,petals and green stalk,its over.The determinates are another issue,I hand pollinate,I grow only a couple/season.
Old June 10, 2017   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Here in these pages from my moderator Ginger and Barb who started it are/ is good info on vibrating methods,look for the Busy Bee device.Hope that helps.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...low+floridians
Old June 10, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Kurt a little off subject but can you grow a coconut palm where you are at?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #8
shule1

Not enough of the right kind of light is another (including for plants that are deprived of light due to crowding). If it's in full shade, I wouldn't expect too many flowers. If there's no to little red light, that may be a problem.

Phosphorus not only helps with flowering, but also plant maturity and cold tolerance.

If the soil is seed-starting mix, I wouldn't expect many flowers no matter how much fertilizer you add. Edit: Strike that. It's fruit I mean (not flowers).

Crowded plants may also be victims of regulators from the smothering plants that inhibit their growth or flowering. I haven't read about this, but I imagine it happens, since tomatoes are often quite aggressive.

If the plant is stunted for any reason, that could also cause it not to flower while stunted.

Some F2 hybrids may have issues flowering (perhaps due to a wild parent). I had a Husky Cherry Red F2 that took a really, really, really long time to successfully flower. It had several small flowers that never bloomed before that point, but they weren't numerous, and it took a while before they came.

Starting determinates that fruit only once too early might prevent them from flowering, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by shule1; June 10, 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old June 10, 2017   #9
shule1

I'm not sure if cold temperatures prevent flowering at the end of the season on some varieties, but I agree that hot temperatures don't stop flowers from coming, whether or not they turn into fruits.
Old June 10, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The amount of sunlight as was said is one of the most important factors.
And it depends on the cultivar as to how much it effects them.
Case in point.
The place I grew Galina's last year with great success with very little if any help from me isn't a great spot for Sun gold at all.
Both small fruited types.

I like my shade trees but it is very limiting as to what I can do in the yard.
The back of my place is more like a wild African savanna.
Worth
Old June 10, 2017   #11
shule1

Worth,

Does Galina's grow well on less light? Where did your seeds originate? I ask because I'm curious what kind of climate the vendor had.
Old June 10, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Worth,

Does Galina's grow well on less light? Where did your seeds originate? I ask because I'm curious what kind of climate the vendor had.
Well the vendor was TGS out of Florida but there is no way the grow and supply all of those seeds themselves.
Yes it and Riesentraub(sp?) did a fare job in less light.

Most of my seeds come from them.
One of the reasons why is fear of bringing in viruses to my soil I dont need by improper seed processing.
I am all for seed swapping but we must be careful and honest when we do.
Spreading F wilt around the globe will do none of us any good.

Worth
Old June 11, 2017   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Lethal yellowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Kurt a little off subject but can you grow a coconut palm where you are at?

Worth

We here had a malady introduced that had the state and industry eradicate the original commercial stocks.I have a Malaysian Palm out front that produces nice clumps of bright yellow nuts filled with coconut water( qt.per nut),machete top,auger hole,super duper seven eleven straw,all after it was in the igloo with real clear block ice,from our ice house( yes still around).Some Wray Evans 151 Rum,nice fat smoke of choice,your there.Dont mess with meat much,pain in derrière.Fast grower,nice shade fronds,hat making material with young tender blades.The final cure was aspirin laced antibody hung on trees via capsule slow release injected hypos.When at market check out the Coconut Sugar that available now.No bleached white poisons for the kid anymore.The trees produce,shed,more nuts,shed agin,chopped up its makes my new medium coir.Win win.Ever try rice cooked in coconut water?Divine.Have Fun.

Last edited by kurt; June 11, 2017 at 01:14 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #14
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

From what I noticed, light is the most important if the issue is no flowers (not flowers that don't form fruit). Including light levels at seedling stage.
I haven't noticed a big difference in time for making flowers for late varieties. The lateness usually comes from those flowers not making a fruit.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Another reason is b/c it's a mule plant. And I've experienced that several times.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20800

Carolyn