Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2006   #1
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

Default selling plants- pot sizes

I need some opnions , should i keep potting up my tomatoes into 4 inch pots or keep some in the 6 pk cells. Do the tomatoes ever sell in 6 pks? Or are the 6 pks just for cabbage and broccoli? i would hate to pot them all up then not be able to sell them because they are too big or expensive. Around here a tomato plant only goes for $1 in individual pots.
They are all OP plants some are good heirlooms and some common types like Roma and Beef Steak. If they sell well this year I will look into better seeds for next year.
Any opinions appreciated.
Old April 19, 2006   #2
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi VeggieCanner,

I'm sure you'll get lots of differing opinions on this question.

I am selling seedlings for the first time this year. One thing that seems certain is that your location will dictate your price. I live in a small town, and just the other day I was visiting my local greenhouse. They carry only 2 heirlooms (Brandywine and Mr. Stripey). I asked the owner the cost of his tomatoes in 4" pots. He said, very sorrowfully, that he had to raised the price to $1.99 this year (formerly they were $1.25). I told him not to apologize, and I was actually very grateful! We will be selling our 4" heirloom tomatoes for $2.

We have a lot of Romas, which I thought about putting in 6 packs, and still think it might be a good idea. Around here you can get three Romas for $1. I don't think anyone will pay $2 for one even if it's 4", though they may surprise me. I think we may just offer a free Roma with every plant purchase.

I hope you have great success with your plant sales!

Lisa
Old April 19, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Around here, there are lots of 4 pak and 6 pak sales, dirt cheap, but they tend to be hybrid greatest hits. A good sized sturdy heirloom in a 4 inch pot gets 2.00 with no problem.
Old April 19, 2006   #4
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

That is why I asked. I don't want to put in the time or potting soil to pot them up only to discount them. They have not cost me much to grow so if I sell them 4/$1.25 it's ok. I was heating my green house any way.

Could be I need to check out the local nursery myself. To see what he is doing. I haven't bought a plant in 4 years, because I grow all my own. I am sure you guys know how that is.
Last time I bought plants though , It was Early Girls for 4/1.29 in a small 4-pk and a larger Sweet 100 in a quart pot for a $1.29.
There is one guy here who will sell a jumbo 6- pk of common tomatoes for $3. So i will have to do some snooping to find out what is going on.
Thanks for the opinions guys, you may have saved me some work.