Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Does anyone know-of any new tomato books worth reading

I was wondering if any of you know of any new tomato books that have recently been published- that are now available, I have read most of the pre-2005 ones and have quite a collection- ( including Carolyns book of course ) which I often refer to.

But I was hankering after some further reading- if I can find any !, can anyone recomend anything recently on the market.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2006   #2
greggf
Tomatovillian™

It's not specifically a tomato book, but it DOES have plenty of tomato talk in it:

Steve Soloman's GARDENING WHEN IT COUNTS: GROWING FOOD IN HARD TIMES

It's a Mother Earth News 2006 title, and is published by New Society Publishers. It's at Amazon.

Soloman is the former owner of Territorial Seed Company in the Pacific Northwest. He sold it to, I believe, the Johns way back in the mid-1980's.

He seems lukewarm on both heirlooms - he says to just "experiment" with them, and to just try one (ONE!) new heirloom tomato variety per year - and on hybrids, which he says yield no major extra vigor over OPs and make seed-saving impossible.

He says his favorite-tasting tomato is Jubilee, the early-40's Burpee OP All-America winner, and his favorite tomatoes would therefore seem to be commercial OPs, which I guess would include therefore the Rutgers and New Yorkers and so on, although he doesn't name names beyond Jubilee, which he calls "Golden Jubilee."

He also rather rigorously discusses what makes a good seed company and what makes a bad one. In his estimation, there are more bad ones than good ones, and he does name names here. I was happy to see that he likes Stokes and Johnny's, a couple that I use, and Harris and Vesey's that I often use.

It looks like a great book if you rely upon your garden for serious eating (as the title makes clear) rather than growing for strictly fun or taste or history.

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2006   #3
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

sounds like a good book, especialy the bit about good seed companies and bad ones, as its always nice to know where to shop best. :wink:
Old April 30, 2006   #4
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Michael, you could do this for some interesting reading during idle moments. Go to the "other Place" and do a search on "Carolyn" and read all her input to questions.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Blimey Earl"- I should be over there all day at that rate, there must be thousands of them, but I take your point.