Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 22, 2014   #16
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Even Whole Foods has $$$$ heirloom tomatoes that taste like mine! This summer they were over $6/lb. even in peak season. Nice to find the great tasting ones available to non-growers.

Worth - try to get him interested in growing him own stuff. Maybe one day . . . . . He'll wake up and smell the flowers and taste the best of our gardens!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Even Whole Foods has $$$$ heirloom tomatoes that taste like mine! This summer they were over $6/lb. even in peak season. Nice to find the great tasting ones available to non-growers.

Worth - try to get him interested in growing him own stuff. Maybe one day . . . . . He'll wake up and smell the flowers and taste the best of our gardens!
I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't matter if he grows one plant on the patio or a hundred in the back 40. One taste is all it takes. Since he likes store-bought boring tomatoes - he might not like a sweeter type tomato at first? He probably thinks as the vast majority does = tomatoes are red only. Suggest a variety like Celebrity or any other high acid/sweet balanced type. You'll not only open his eyes and taste buds, but he might be a future Tomatoville member. Win-Win.

Edit part: After thinking about it, Celebrity is not a good choice if he is growing on the patio in a pot/bucket. Celebrity needs ultra support. In several attempts - I have not found a proper support for celebrity. Heavy wire cages don't really work. The 2014 garden had celebrity tomato vines over an inch thick at 5'+ tall.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 23, 2014 at 01:05 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #18
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I generally don't grow celebrity because the flavor is IMO not up to par. I love the flavor of Druzba as a slicer and would grow Heidi if I were after a good salsa tomato.

Worth, he needs to try some really good flavored tomatoes and peppers. Any chance you could grow some Chapeau de Frade? They make an excellent flavoring pepper. The fruity floral notes go off the chart in salsa.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #19
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes being fond of cooking, doesn't translate into being a good cook.

More than a few times while interviewing for cooks, after asking about their work history. I'd get a response... "Well, I have 5 kids!".

That said I've worked with some that called themselves chef, and tasted before service, and actually had to spit the food out. Go figure.

Worth, I agree on fresh ground beef. Years ago, I worked in a steakhouse, and we broke down our own meat. We would grind the trimmings, and add bits and pieces from all of the cuts for the employee meal. It kept them happy, some of the best i've had.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #20
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've heard it said that good food is 80% preparation and 20% presentation.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good food comes from the heart.
You have to want to do the absolute very best you can do and strive to be better.

A few years ago a bunch of us went to a restaurant during lunch to eat.
I ordered the catfish plate.
Everyone got their meal but me.
The young waitress explained to me that she had made the cook redo my meal.
When she came out not only did she bring out my food but the one she made the cook redo.
The first one was horrible looking cooked in dirty oil.
I gave the girl a $20 tip on the side for a job well done.
It seems axtavagant but young folks need to be rewarded for stepping up and doing the right thing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Worth

If the guy doesn't believe you know anything about tomatoes, just direct him to your T'ville avatar (showing the 9,663 posts).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2014   #23
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

When I visited Denver last month, I was able to get bruschetta at my hotel that the chef made with local tomatoes from a farm market. It was fantastic. I even saved the seeds from one of the tomatoes, it tasted so good. I had to hide the glass that had the seeds soaking so the maid wouldn't toss it thinking it was trash, however! Anyway, I noticed from that and the many listings for local farm markets in the tourist brochures that there should be some great places to find fresh tomatoes in the area.
Old December 24, 2014   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Good food comes from the heart.
You have to want to do the absolute very best you can do and strive to be better.

A few years ago a bunch of us went to a restaurant during lunch to eat.
I ordered the catfish plate.
Everyone got their meal but me.
The young waitress explained to me that she had made the cook redo my meal.
When she came out not only did she bring out my food but the one she made the cook redo.
The first one was horrible looking cooked in dirty oil.
I gave the girl a $20 tip on the side for a job well done.
It seems axtavagant but young folks need to be rewarded for stepping up and doing the right thing.

Worth
Where's the like button for this post?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2014   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Marsha just another scrap of memory from my organic computer bank.

Sadly the poor fellow we speak of seems to have gotten all of his information from the food and cooking channels on TV.
I find most of these to be misleading, lacking in information and more for entertainment.

I dont know if he is capable of growing a tomato and like myself has to leave the house for two weeks.
This would leave the wife to take care of the plants.
Neither one do I feel know anything about growing tomato plants.
From the persons disposition if anything were to go wrong it would be the wife's fault not his.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2014   #26
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Worth, he's gotta start somewhere. I give away lots of tomato plants every May, knowing only a few will be productive. It's the rare time when someone will actually take the time to say thanks, and that their family/they loved what the plant had produced. Then may follow the statement, "will there be any plants next May"?
We can only try and hopefully make their day a little better by sharing what we have, be it tomatoes, knowledge, encouragement. Just being here is one of the best examples of this.

And just where IS THE LIKE BUTTON???? Worth makes it all worth it with his wonderful stories of life. Thanks, Worth, and everyrone here.

Merry Christmas to all ! ! !
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote