Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 12, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default "Last plant standing"

Our high temps went from 88 to low 50's in a week! My last plant bearing as we get ready (probably) for our first freeze on Sunday was Orange Wellington hybrid. Tomato sizes are down from 10 oz to the 4-6 oz range, but still remarkably few cracks. Picked the last three partially ripe ones yesterday. Dwarfs, even Coastal Pride Orange, are long gone. CPO lasted by far the longest and was the second plant to start bearing.

What was your last plant bearing? How did it hold up cracking, etc. as it wound down? Hope it was a good year for you.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Of the dwarfs at home, out of 25 plants, Coastal Pride Orange and Purple Reign still have large fruit that will probably ripen inside. Noah’s Stripe is still healthy and blooming and setting fruit but they don’t have a chance. For the larger indeterminates, Cleota Pink and Chef Choice Orange are still producing. I am not planning on inviting Chef Choice Orange back next year as the flavor and texture did not stand up to my long time standard for orange tomatoes, Kellogg’s Breakfast. Also, my cherry tomatoes continue to ripen fruit. I will hopefully get to the community garden for an evaluation later today.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018   #3
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa and Sungold are still standing but the flavour is not as good as it could be. I took down the dwarf Wherokowhai and Dana's Dusky Rose yesterday after picking their green tomatoes, one and two pounds from them. Also got a couple of Mat-Su Express the day before.

ps

A little off topic, hope you don't mind.

Peppers are still ripening and I am wondering if their quality will be down with the cold weather. Is it really worth it to grow these long season varieties so far north?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018   #4
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

For me it's always Brandywine and Glacier. They really don't seem to mind the colder nights as much as other tomatoes.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Two of my Spanish hanging varieties- Ramallet Ibiza Blanca and Ramallet San Llorens- still have a couple. Though the cherries are winding down, Post Office Spoonful, P.O.Runt, Dr. Carolyn and Sungold are still putting out a few.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018   #6
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

On Thursday I disposed of the last tomatoes (cherry Arielle F1, Mini Kumato and Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardassar). I need to dig everything before the rainy autumn weather comes. Saint Llorenc des Cardassar tomatoes look good, those cherries are cracked somewhat and do not have the right flavor.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018   #7
AuntJane21
Tomatovillian™

One of the ever-looking plants is Treasure of Inkas. Lots of green tomatoes are probably not coming anymore.
AuntJane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2018   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntJane21 View Post
One of the ever-looking plants is Treasure of Inkas. Lots of green tomatoes are probably not coming anymore.

That's a really nice-looking heart!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

First to produce was Matsu-Express and another ME is the last, it is still good looking but small and right now it has stopped producing but I'll give it another shot of fert.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #10
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Granadero roma. Hybrid. never let's me down. Size is about half of what it was at peak, but still producing.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #11
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We are down to cherry type tomatoes. Still have Lemon Drop, Chocolate Cherry & Sweet 100. Same type weather here & I'm lucky to still have them in October.
Old October 17, 2018   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf beauty king is actually the only one that still is full of tomatoes, like in full season. Dwarfs don't normally do well disease wise, but this one has been better than even the normal plants. Some cracking but not that bad. Nice size, everything is good about this dwarf, except the taste which is borderline inexistent.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018   #13
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I discovered a micro dwarf - Lil Lise ripening fruit in the compost heap! It is one that has good flavour.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm still getting a few Brandywine OTVs. They're only about the size of a golf ball but they still taste good.
Old October 24, 2018   #15
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

For me it is carbon. Last plants standing and producing.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote