Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2020   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default This week... Tomatoes

Well the pepper seedlings are doing fine so this week I think I'll start some indeterminate tomato seeds. I Liked last years results so once again 2 Jet Star, 2 Better Boy & 2 Black Sea Man plants will supply my family and my neighbors with large slicing tomatoes and plenty of ready to enjoy right off the vine tomatoes. I will wait till the last week of March or first week of April til I plant my salad tomato variety 3 Tiny Tim tomato plant staggered 2 weeks apart should provide salad tomatoes for the summer. What a nice small plant that really does well in smaller 1 or 2 gallon containers. The others will be in the 4 or 7 gallon grow bags and of course all big tomato varieties will have cages.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2020   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

the race is on ;>)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

The tomato seeds have been started.
Old March 20, 2020   #4
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Well the seedlings are up that didn't take long at all.
Old March 20, 2020   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I started all my rootstock and scion seeds for grafting and all are up except for one variety for which I only had old seeds. Probably 2-3 weeks until grafting time. This weekend I'll be starting all the dwarf tomato seeds and the last of the herbs. Everything else has already been started.

They're saying spring will be two weeks ahead of schedule here, but I'm staying with my normal timeline. Just because spring starts early, it doesn't mean that winter won't make at least a couple more brief appearances...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Curious to know your planting date outdoors.Here in North East Ohio I usually get my plants out around Memorial Day.Really depends on the soil temperature.I normally start my tomato seeds around the first of April.Peppers last week in February.This year I'm getting my plants from a Forum member who has their own nursery.Since I retired almost 2 years ago we have been babysitting our Grandchildren and I just don't have the time to start and raise my plants LOL.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If the question is directed at me, then it seems you and I follow the similar schedule. Some "garden by the moon," but I "garden by the holidays."

Peppers, eggplants, and all cool weather crops (kale, onions, woody herbs, lettuce, etc.) are started around Valentine's Day.

Everything else around St. Patrick's day.

The cold hardy stuff goes out around Patriots Day.

The rest goes out around a Memorial Day.

Garlic usually gets harvested around Independence Day.

The following year's garlic crop is planted around Columbus Day.

Beds are mulched for the winter around Veterans Day.

The week between Christmas and New Years I make my list and order any seeds I need.

And then the cycle starts again.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Curious to know your planting date outdoors.Here in North East Ohio I usually get my plants out around Memorial Day.Really depends on the soil temperature.I normally start my tomato seeds around the first of April.Peppers last week in February.This year I'm getting my plants from a Forum member who has their own nursery.Since I retired almost 2 years ago we have been babysitting our Grandchildren and I just don't have the time to start and raise my plants LOL.
I am in NE Ohio also and I start my tomato seeds between April 7th & April 10th and I usually plant them outside around May 25th or so. But I don't put my peppers out till around June 10th when night time temps are over 50 deg.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
If the question is directed at me, then it seems you and I follow the similar schedule. Some "garden by the moon," but I "garden by the holidays."

Peppers, eggplants, and all cool weather crops (kale, onions, woody herbs, lettuce, etc.) are started around Valentine's Day.

Everything else around St. Patrick's day.

The cold hardy stuff goes out around Patriots Day.

The rest goes out around a Memorial Day.

Garlic usually gets harvested around Independence Day.

The following year's garlic crop is planted around Columbus Day.

Beds are mulched for the winter around Veterans Day.

The week between Christmas and New Years I make my list and order any seeds I need.

And then the cycle starts again.
Interesting plan. The problem is, I don't know when those holidays are.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020   #10
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46 here ya go... Valentines day... Feb 14, Patriots day... April 20, Memorial day... May 25, Independence day... July 4, Veterans day... November 11.

Your times to begin seed starting will really depend on the growing zone in the Czech republic.