Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old January 12, 2010   #1
geoff1
Tomatovillian™

Default Carrot Tomato

Does anyone know of an alternative name for this heirloom? I originally received seeds for this from Seeds Blum and have been growing it since. Seems that this was a name used only by Seeds Blum as I cannot find an image or description anywhere. Thanks, Geoff
geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff1 View Post
Does anyone know of an alternative name for this heirloom? I originally received seeds for this from Seeds Blum and have been growing it since. Seems that this was a name used only by Seeds Blum as I cannot find an image or description anywhere. Thanks, Geoff
Geoff, long time no see, so Hello.

Most folks equate Carrot Like to Silvery Fir Tree but Andrey says they are slightly different. Both have that finely dissected foliage with small red fruits. I too first bought seeds for Carrot-Like from Seeds Blum back in the 80's and I was so sorry to see what happened to Jan, but she just couldn't convert to the computer age and when folks got seeds after a year, it was time to close up. How I miss those wonderful black line drawings and the fabulous array of veggies and fruits and flowers that she offered.

Maybe Andrey will stop by when he sees this thread title and say more about Carrot-Like/Silvery Fir Tree, but of former USSR origin there's no doubt. If not perhaps you could PM him in a few days to post here if he doesn't see your thread title.
Old January 12, 2010   #3
geoff1
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, good to hear from you. The "Carrot" in question is not SFT of which I am still growing from seeds received from you some years ago. The one I am trying to find more about has a fruit aprox 6" long and carrot shaped. Long, slender, juicy
with very few seeds. It came as you say in the lovely envelope marked "preservation pack" with Jans admonition to bag and separate the plants.
Geoff
Old January 12, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff1 View Post
Carolyn, good to hear from you. The "Carrot" in question is not SFT of which I am still growing from seeds received from you some years ago. The one I am trying to find more about has a fruit aprox 6" long and carrot shaped. Long, slender, juicy
with very few seeds. It came as you say in the lovely envelope marked "preservation pack" with Jans admonition to bag and separate the plants.
Geoff
Thanks for clarifying that b'c ASAP I was thinking Carrot-Like.

I haven't taken the time to do some looking around but I thought that long reds were often referred to as sausage or carrot if they didn't have a variety name, but you're implying that there is a variety named Carrot.

I'm in the get my seeds ready for the seed offer I jsut made here but when I get time I'll see what I can find and perhaps others might know of a specific variety named Carrot. You're also implying it's not a paste type since you used the word juicy. Right?

Where did you get the seed for Carrot from?

Ha! I just scoped off the floor an older SSE YEarbook and what do I find but the variety Carrot listed:

91 days, , indet, 6 inch banana pepper tomato, paste type, (seed source from another SSE member, CJM) and an SSE accession number of 872 which means it was first listed in the late 70's or so.

So it looks like Carrot was really named Carrot but I don't know, without going back to earlier Yearbooks, who first listed it and if anyone cited Seeds Blum as a source. My 1987 Yearbook was near the top of the piles of Yearbooks and Carrot was not listed in that one.
Old January 12, 2010   #5
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default seeds blum

Just pulled out the 1995 Seeds Blum catalog and Carrot is listed as indeterminate, and a very long, thin tomato and not productive. Listed under Paste tomatoes. Has a little asterisk beside it which signifies Heirloom.
Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

So, basically two tomatoes not much worth messing with?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I actually remember Blum listing that - my assumption was that it was an Opalka/Federle/Gallo Plum type of tomato. Never purchased or grew it, though, since I already had so many different long paste types.
Old January 13, 2010   #8
geoff1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I actually remember Blum listing that - my assumption was that it was an Opalka/Federle/Gallo Plum type of tomato. Never purchased or grew it, though, since I already had so many different long paste types.
Thanks to all of you, That confirms the identity. I will just have to wait till mine are ready and photograph it myself for my database.