Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 14, 2012   #16
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
You kill me. I was thinking this guy though
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #17
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

The taste of foot!

Actually everyone should know the symptoms whether you home can or not, as there are more cases from commercial sources and restaurants than home canning.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
The taste of foot!

Actually everyone should know the symptoms whether you home can or not, as there are more cases from commercial sources and restaurants than home canning.

TomNJ
Which just goes to prove that out of ignorance or just plain old dont give a hoot.
These people have only one thing in mind, 'money.

It is unimaginable what these folks have done in the past and what they would do if it weren't for the USDA.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2012   #19
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Good thread! I used to have a friend who had a biology degree in food safety something or other. She told me if you knew how commercial jams and jellies were made you'd never eat them. She said the high amounts of sugar were the reason they didn't go bad.

I was going to make sauce and can it tomorrow, but maybe I'll just stick to puree for now
Old August 18, 2012   #20
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I was going to make sauce and can it tomorrow, but maybe I'll just stick to puree for now
Don't be afraid to make sauce Antoniette - canning is fun and rewarding, just be aware of certain rules for safety. This site gives instructions and approved recipes for sauce.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can3_tomato.html

I have been canning tomato salsa and sauce for over 30 years, and will expand greatly next year if I get the farm in southwest Virginia we just bid on.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #21
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I think I'd be drinking that 48 quarts of puree. One choice that I don't think I saw above would be to open the jars and then pressure can them. If I were to decide to do that, I would add the recommended (although optional) 1 teaspoon of salt to each quart.

For the obvious safety reasons, we started canning only the tomato "juice" a few years ago. We do a reduction of about 30%-40% which gives us very thick puree. I've always added the one teaspoon of canning salt per quart when it goes into the jars. Several hundreds of quarts were done with a Boiling Water Bath Canner over the years and no problems or spoilage has ever been encountered. But, now we have a Presto 16 Quart Pressure Canner and everything goes through it. I downloaded all the "books"/Chapters from the website mentioned above and keep them handy all the time. We also have the book that comes with the Pressure canner and two other older books that we found at local book stores. The recommended procedures haven't changed much over the last few decades.

Ever since we got the pressure canner, our BWB canner is only used to sterilize the jars and lids. Besides tomato juice for drinking, we use the very thick puree for various soups, sauces, and salsas - adding the other ingredients to each dish as we prepare them. I freeze peppers, onions, tomatillos, cillantro and some other ingredients that we harvest from the garden. It really tastes good in snowy January.

So, I'm curious about how many others also put canning salt into their "juice/puree"?????
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; August 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Ever since we got the pressure canner, our BWB canner is only used to sterilize the jars and lids.

It's my understanding that if you're pressure canning, you don't have to sterilize anything beforehand. The jars and lids are supposed to be clean, but it only really matters on the rim of the jar where the rubber seals. Everything living is going to die inside the pressure cooker anyway.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #23
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I can see, Cole Robbie, that you don't have a DW (or DH as the case may be) who is ultra-paranoid about the whole operation of canning. It took me two weeks to convince her that we just didn't need one of those souped-up ultraviolet germ killer thingies that the water department uses. She insists hospital operating rooms are "nasty germ-ridden places".

The BWB canner is keeping her and my nerves quiet for now
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #24
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I have always used the BWB method with great success until last yr when I bought a pressure cooker and processed 8 qts. of whole tomatoes. I think I did something wrong because while all were filled close to the top, after processing the liquid was down about 1 to 1 and a half inches below the top. I am assuming it boiled over before it sealed. So, how safe do you think these are to eat; have been afraid to tray any.
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #25
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, as long as they are sealed they are fine. Leaching usually happens when the pressure isn't kept steady, when it fluctuates during processing, or when the pressure is allowed to go to high. I have a jiggle type canner, and if it is rockin it's socks off the pressure is too high and I am likely to have some loss from the jars. Adjusting the heat down, once the initial desired pressure is reached, to a temp that just keeps it jiggling gently helps prevent this. So does waiting the five minutes the directions tells you to once the pressure is down and the weight is removed before removing the lid and taking out the jars.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #26
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
I have always used the BWB method with great success until last yr when I bought a pressure cooker and processed 8 qts. of whole tomatoes. I think I did something wrong because while all were filled close to the top, after processing the liquid was down about 1 to 1 and a half inches below the top. I am assuming it boiled over before it sealed. So, how safe do you think these are to eat; have been afraid to tray any.
Chris
As Lurley indicates.... no problem with the low fluid. You can get that in a BWB too if you process too long.
(Of course I have never done that myself )

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #27
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Lurley and RR:
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps the uneven pressure is from cooking on an electric stove. I should have asked the question sooner; I could have been using them all winter. Oh well....
Thanks again!
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #28
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

So, I'm curious about how many others also put canning salt into their "juice/puree"?????

I can remember my grandmother adding salt to tomatoes, beef, cabbage, green beans, potatoes and most everything else they canned.
She said it helped to prevent spoiling. My mother followed suit and added salt for the same reason.
I do it because it improves the taste. If it helps keep stuff from spoiling, that's just an extra benefit.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012   #29
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I do it the way my family has been doing it for many generations except, that in the old country they canned peeled tomatoes cut into wedges. Since coming to the US, a food mill was purchased (mom still uses the one she bought back in the '60s) and grandma and mom switched to canning tomato purée. The purée is ladled into sterilized jars with nothing else added, and processed in a hot water bath for 45 minutes.

The first four quarts were canned yesterday, and there's probably another six quarts worth cooking on the stove right now. Best part is, the smell is taking me right back to my childhood!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2012   #30
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

For my salsa and crushed tomatoes,

I add bottled lemon juice to the mix to achieve a pH of 4. (prevents growth)

I heat the mix to 185 degrees. (kills spores)

I add 1 teaspoon of canning salt to each sterilized/hot quart jar. (cuz my mom did)

Then I ladle the hot 185 degree mix into each jar, cap with a lid removed from boiling water, and hot water bath the filled jar for 25 minutes.

If the lids seal, the canned salsa/tomatoes go onto the pantry shelf.

I almost always have to add lemon juice to achieve the proper pH.

I suppose, though, that you could achieve the correct pH without adding anything.

I use pH paper.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote