Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old October 6, 2008   #1
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

Default Chalk's Early Jewel

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this variety and/or growing it out this year?

It is listed in old catalogues and new ones as being a red variety. However, my fruit have clear skins and are therefore pink, not red. The fruit are similar in colour to Eva Purple Ball, but without the mottling, of course.

So, I do not know if I have the actual Chalk's Early Jewel and it has been mistaken for a red over the years or if there has been a problem with my supplier. I got the seed from Bill Minkey.

Shirley
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightmeadow View Post
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this variety and/or growing it out this year?

It is listed in old catalogues and new ones as being a red variety. However, my fruit have clear skins and are therefore pink, not red. The fruit are similar in colour to Eva Purple Ball, but without the mottling, of course.

So, I do not know if I have the actual Chalk's Early Jewel and it has been mistaken for a red over the years or if there has been a problem with my supplier. I got the seed from Bill Minkey.

Shirley
YEs, I know of it but have never grown it and yes, it's listed in all the old catalogs as well as the Michigan State Bulletin as well as by Glen at Sandhill Preservation as being red.

Bill, whom I know very well, also is listing it in the red section of the SSE YEarbook as I'm sure you already
know.

Some pinks can be dark so before you think you have the wrong color take a look at a piece of epidermis that you peel off and compare it to a known red epidermis that you have.

If the epidermis is clear the color is pink and if the epidermis is yellow the fruit color is red.

Are you getting the right size fruits? They are quite small.

I almost forgot to ask how many plants you put out and if all of them were the same as to plant habit, leaf form and the traits that characterize the variety.

What I'm also thinking is if there could have been a stray seed in the pack and looking at several plants should tell you that.

No, I don't think it's been wrongly called a red since it was bred in the late 1800's.
Old October 7, 2008   #3
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for all the information Carolyn. I kept only one plant for myself and gave the others away to friends. I'll have to check with them to see if their fruit is different.

This is definitely a pink tomato with a clear skin. The fruits average around 4 oz.

I guess I can't assume that my plant is a true Chalk's Early Jewel.

Shirley
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote