Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 6, 2010   #16
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

All and all its been interesting season growing TPS and will grow on the following come spring.
Lo Owl Skycap for i like the yellow flesh types.

Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi for it reminds me so much like Oca and even though they are still rather small,i'm keen to see what size they will end up and how they'll taste this time next year.

Diamond Blue i feel should be a good producer along with being reasonably tasty certainly warrents growing a second season.

Cara will definitely be also grown again,a nice potato.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010   #17
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Nice harvest! I like the skin color of Lo Owl Skycap is a good looking potato. How's the taste?
Old April 7, 2010   #18
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Nice harvest! I like the skin color of Lo Owl Skycap is a good looking potato. How's the taste?
I agree it is a stunning looking spud alright but only ended up with the one plant good plant from that variety so i didn't really get enough to try.
Old April 7, 2010   #19
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Something else to look forward too next growing season right?
Old April 8, 2010   #20
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Too right wmontanez,as the seasons go by it seems to have become a constant turn over of new varieties while dropping out others that you feel that don't make the grade,for me after thirty years trying so many different potatoes (and i'm sure Tom's head must spin at times) there's only one spud that has had no equal for me so far,well in this part of the world anyway,and it called "Moie moie",the only other tomatovillian who has also tried it that i know of is Tomaat when her and hubby both called by our place in 07.
My mission next growing season is to get Moie moie to set seed which it hasnt as long as i have grown it, with the help and advice from within this forum i hope that i can share this TPS of what i think is a ultimate spud with others.

Moie moie
Old April 8, 2010   #21
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Oh that would be awesome! If you get Moie moie TPS I am in if you need volunteers to try your TPS and report back how did you get that type?

I am glad I found this forum, you guys have a lot of experience, and I am always looking to learn more.

I am new to potato growing because in the Caribbean ( i grew up in Puerto Rico) they don't grow well and the only type that is sold for cooking is Russet types and Red skin for roasting from USA. But I sent my mom some of my TPS to see if she get one seedling to resist the hot and humid tropical weather and maybe create an adapted local potato.
Old April 8, 2010   #22
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

That is a pretty potato. I am planting some TPS from Tom for the first time this year. I am really looking forward to the "experiment". I have never grown potatoes from tubers (well, I just started some for the first time) and definitely never from seed.

It's nice to see what others are doing....and to learn.
Old April 8, 2010   #23
salix
Tomatovillian™

Richard, what in particular is so exceptional about Moie Moie? Flavour, production, appearance (it is lovely) or ???

The TPS I got from Tom just keeps on germinating; I have potted up a dozen, and have another 8 - they just keep showing up every day or so...
Can hardly wait to see what results from these.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2010   #24
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Whats so good about Moie moie in my opinion is it has such nice flavour, especially as a new potato.Second,a very good producer for a spud that i would consider a mid season variety, some plants can produce some big yields,best single plant so far five years ago grew a 7 kg crop.Another good feature of this clone is its keeping ability,it can be still eatable long after other varieties have long gone off by the end of spring/early summer as i dont pit mine and are only shed stored.

What are names of the TPS you are growing salix and azgirl??
Old April 9, 2010   #25
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

I have three that Tom sent me. I haven't started them yet. (I am trying the tubers first.) Still trying to decide when to plant the seeds, but I am leaning towards waiting a little bit. I am thinking that if I start them inside and baby them through summer, I will be able to plant out in late Summer/Fall. In a post I started, he provided a great description of them for me. The three he sent me are:

1) French Fingerling/Magic Molly
2) Gracie's Harry/John tom Kaighin
3) Skagit Valley Gold/Thumbel Nose

Are any of these similar to any of yours?

Melissa
Old April 9, 2010   #26
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

i do remember Tom writing about French Fingerling but the others ive not heard of.

What type of climate do have Melissa - eg, frost dates,rainfall etc.
Old April 9, 2010   #27
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

I live in the desert. It's an arid climate. The average yearly rainfall is around 8 inches and we typically have more than 100+ days of temperatures higher than 100 degrees F. Additionally, we average about 5 days during the year where the temperature actually falls below the freezing mark. Last frost date is around Feb. 5th. I've had my tomatoes in the ground since mid-Feb.

Not much survives (thrives) here during the summers. Avg. temp for June-August is 100+ degrees.
Old April 9, 2010   #28
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

woow, that's one hot area you live in,whats your water supply like for watering??with a climate like that and adequate water you'd get some fantastic growth.
Old April 9, 2010   #29
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

Hottest day ever...122! Miserable. Even the pool felt hot!

I wish I lived in the part of town that my dad does....irrigation from canals, very cheap and effective....but, alas, I don't. With my garden, I have started collecting rain water. Need to get a couple more barrels. Hopefully, it will really help with the water bills this summer. I also am trying to mulch heavily and my husband is going to fix my drip irrigation for me (so I can water directly at the plant line). Last year was my first year gardening and I have expanded (a lot) since then.

SO...more experienced one...should I start my seed now or wait? I love the idea of the unexpected and growing one that does well for me, in my area.
Old April 10, 2010   #30
salix
Tomatovillian™

Richard - no wonder you love that potato! 7 kg from one plant is amazing.

For the record; I am growing Tom's TPS #5231309, F4 (Pirampo, Khudi Akita). I gave the first ones (quickest germinated and potted up) a bit of fresh air today, but just a bit as it was only 1 C and we were ducking snow and hail squalls...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote