Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 8, 2015   #1
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Default First time corn planting question

Bought 4 corn plants at the local nursery today. 2 of them have 2 stalks in the pot. Do I need to get rid of one of the stalks when I plant?

If so, just kinda separate them like you would do when you transplant bulk sowed tomato seedlings?
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think you want to separate them or remove one of each yes. You really need 15-20 corn plants at an absolute minimum to get good pollination. There's no need to buy plants. Corn seeds splashed with water for 2-3 minutes and then sown 1/2" deep will vigorously sprout in 3-5 days.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #3
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I agree, you need more than 4 plants to get good pollination. They can be planted fairly close together. I plant 18 in an Earthbox and get a decent crop. If you've never grown corn before, you'll be amazed at how much better home grown corn tastes than what you buy in the store.

I've read mixed opinions about the sucker branches. Some say leave them, some say cut them off. Sorry to sound wishy washy about that; don't know the right answer. All I can say is when my plants get suckers I leave them alone and they don't seem to take anything away from the main stalk.

Good luck,

Irv

Edited to write: Oops, I mis-read your post. Those aren't suckers, there are 2 plants in each pot. Yes, you can separate them and plant them separately.

Last edited by Irv Wiseguy; March 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

To get good pollination from just a couple of plants I would suggest hand pollination, which is pretty easy. Agree on the direct sowing method of a block of plants, though.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #5
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Learned a lot already, thanks guys.

So you're supposed to plant all the same kind in a block right? I'd go and buy seed but don't wanna intermix them if thats a problem...if so I'll just hand pollinate these fellas.

Mainly just bought these as cheap trellis for my beans.
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote